What peppers are you planning to grow in 2017?

Thanks @JustAnne4. I have bought roasted peppers where they do the roasting in front of you (Anaheims mostly). And done the roasting myself on my BBQ when I grew the peppers myself. They never get the smoked flavor of the purchased Anchos I’ve used. But then again, I never roasted them with smoking chips or hardwood in there, so maybe that would make a difference. Although I suspect, much like the “smokey paprikas” out there, the smoke is added as an afterthought.

I am not against using “liquid smoke” or some other smoke flavoring. It often is better than the attempts of a novice smoker (like me) to do it the right way. I’ll have to dig into this some more and make some decisions, but since I just planted seeds a few days ago, it will be a while before I am actually dealing with peppers.

BTW, I have found that the heat can be reduced, at least on ancho/poblanos and anaheim types, quite a bit by removing the seeds and not using them. On some of the anchos we bought the difference that just a couple of seeds getting into the dish made is amazing, from a medium level of hotness (which I like) to an extreme (which I can barely eat). If you haven’t tried removing the seeds in your cooking, give it a try.

1 Like

More peppers up tonight, two Trinidad scorpion butch t, ballon pepper, and habanero tree. The only pepper I don’t have up yet is the rocoto de seda, must be a stubborn one to sprout.

2 Likes

Yeah. I know to remove the seeds. Whimpus maximus. :blush:

1 Like

It doesn’t really burn, it just feels like it. Lol.

They say that you can work your way up to hotter and hotter peppers but I think some people just don’t like any heat and never will. When you eat nice hot peppers you get a little rush of endorphins, of course you get a rush of endorphins when you smash your finger with a hammer but I don’t really like that.

3 Likes

Drew you will not regret it. My best seller is smoked Ghost pepper powder

Mrs Dood is like that, she steers clear of the mildly hot ones, like Anaheim or Jalapeno. I would go out in the garden, pick a jal fresh off the plant, bring it in, slice it up and eat it straight. I’d offer her a slice and she wouldn’t finish it- “ooey, waay too hot, I don’t know why you eat those”. Yet she wants me to plant a dozen plants??

You should have seen her when she unknowingly bit into a hot pepper at a Thai restaurant, many hijinks ensued…

Wait until she tries a 7 pot :smiling_imp:. No, I can’t do that to her…

If you smoke the peppers in the smoker it will make them really mushy, I think 2 hrs would be good then put them in the dehydrator

1 Like

Yeah, from what I’ve seen online, 2-4 hrs in the smoker then into a dehydrator til they are really dry. Seems most smoke them whole, but a few suggested splitting them in half first.

Looks like I need to find that smoker, and of course those pepper seeds need to come up :wink:

I’m super stoked to be growing habanada peppers this year. Also growing a mini belle.

That would be easier, I might try it too. In smokers the heat is nowhere near the food, so it takes all day, I’m going to try it next time I do fish, Just add some peppers. When the peppers are ripe I’ll go fishing, works for me! I’ll use the water too, it’s really needed in the smoker to get that smoke flavor, and just dry the peppers afterward.

1 Like

I’m repeating:
Sweet Banana
Corno Di Toro
Hungarian Hot Wax
Tobago Seasoning
Aci Sivri

I like all of these, although my version of Tobago Seasoning is much hotter than I really like and would expect from descriptions and my Hungarian Hot was is often darn right mild. I think I’m growing Tobago Seasoning as much because I really like the umbrella shape of the plants and all the pretty little peppers hanging down, rather than it is a favorite for flavor. Sweet Banana is massively productive productive, Corno less so but makes great peppers and Aci Sivri was super productive, had great flavor and was just about the right heat for my preferences. Aci was a bit variable, sometimes less hot than most store bought jalapenos, but not nearly as hot as I had expected from descriptions, which was actually just perfect. Anyone I gave any of the Aci Sivri to raved about them, so I’ll always grow them.

And trying for the first time:
Triunfo F1 Jalapeno
NuMex Joe Anaheim

Rocoto de seda up tonight that gives me at least one of everything I planted, looks like a spicy summer.

Great job. Rocoto de Sada is a pubescens species and they prefer less sun than most. Give it it’s 8 hrs but hottest part of the day try and give some shade. You will notice small hairs on the entire plant when it gets first set of true leaves. Very hot.

1 Like

While I have gardened for many years on and off I have never grown peppers like this and appreciate any tips. Thanks.

What I use as a rule of thumb is, if the plant looks good and healthy it can probably go one more day without water. Peppers like to be on the dry side and for sure do not like wet feet. It is best in my experience to let them dry out a bit before watering.

In very hot afternoon temps you may notice some drooping leaves but that does not necessarily mean they need water, it could possibly be that more water is transpiring through the leaves than can be taken up by the roots. If they are still drooping in the morning you might want to water.

Those darn peppers get you one way or another. I love the variegation on the fish pepper, very cool. Reminds me of Rimada figs where the fruit is also variegated. [quote=“thepodpiper, post:73, topic:8524”]
a pubescens species
[/quote]

I grew that species once. Interesting pepper, and yeah a deep hot. I see many dishes that use these peppers, remove the heat I think by boiling in salt water? I don’t remember the procedure? Well some of the heat. Manzano Pepper, Orange, is what I grew… This species is a good one to over winter, but it’s a hassle to do it. If you can get it through it can grow twice as fast as the first year. Twice or three times as many peppers. I did it for a couple of years. It’s tough to overwinter. I lost two this winter, A thyme plant, and a Mexican Bush Oregano plant. Oh well, the tougher ones are still here!

I thought this was an interesting seed leaf on one of my Trinidad scorpion butch t,

2 Likes

OK, this info was what i was looking for, I missed it somehow? Thanks!

This year I’m doing peppers in containers again for out on the back deck. This year I’m planting the following that are in the pic.
Grandpa’s Home
Aleppo
Big Boss Man
Hot Fish
Blazing Banana
Black Hungarian
Big Guy Jalapeno
Not in the pic cause I started them later
Japone
Hot Lemon

I also brought in 3 plants that I had out last summer which were Early Jalapeno, Serrano and Gigantia Jalapeno which was not that gigantic! You really can’t see them that well in the pic but originally the pic was not for the peppers but the new kids and their high rise condo I have.

2 Likes

My peppers at various ages. They grow at work where we have large windows. It seems like they like it there.

Today I noticed the first flowerbuds. They are on Numex Sunset.

3 Likes