What to graft onto Romeo/Juliet/Crimson Passion rootstock?

Has anyone been successful grafting onto Romance series cherry rootstock? I’ve cut down my Romeo, Juliet, and Crimson Passion trees. After a 7 year wait for them to fruit, I find prefer sweet cherries! I know the Romance series is on its own roots. Does that mean sweet cherries are not compatible?

1 Like

Hi Chris,
I am not familiar with that rootstock was it a dwarf as described online? Are your rootstocks putting up new shoots? You may need a viable interstem to try grafting stonefruit so to them
Dennis
Kent, wa

Thanks for reply! Yes, the 7 year old trees were about 7-8’ tall, so somewhat dwarfed. New shoots are coming up from their base. Maybe I will try an Adara interstem and then a plum scion. An interesting experiment in any case!

1 Like

Hi Chris
I got the impression you want to grow sweet cherries, if you want to convert it to other stone fruits, Adara or cherry plum scions should work.
I am using those two to convert my sweet cherry trees to plum. They both work quite well. If you try using interstems you need to limit the # of buds you leave on the interstems, to assure your plum scion has only limited competition. You can do it as one graft, but I have found that doing the interstems one year and then the plum grafts the next year is simpler. If you need either Adara or cherry plum interstems I have them
Dennis
Dennis
Dennis

Thanks for tip on limiting #buds on interstem. Do you think Nadia would work as a cherry plum interstem?
I’ll see if I can first have some success with an interstem. If that works, I’ll contemplate next step.

I have not tried Nadia as an interstem, it’s worth trying if you have some to try. I have Nadia growing on my Adara and cherry plum interstems, so I know it’s compatible that way. You would know in about 2 weeks, but you may miss the last couple of good summer grafting schedule, if I were you I would try it, you can still graft onto the new shoots in spring if your Nadia does not work. I am happy to give you interstems now or in springtime
Dennis

Great. I’ll try it.

Let me know how it works,it would be interesting if it works!
Good luck

1 Like

If you want to take a chance using FedEx overnite service I am:
Today I am making the rounds to prune back some of my interstems so my grafts can grow with less competition
Let me know if you or friends want the fresh cuts. My cuts vary from 1/8 to 3/8” in diameter. Would work as bark grafts or modified whip and tongue or cleft grafts on 1 year old shoots. Just let me know by tonite, will keep moist in fridge over nite as if I want to use them.
Dennis

Thanks for generous offer! I made an attempt at cleft grafting Nadia onto the Juliet rootstock. I think I’ll take my chance just with that. The Juliet cherry is growing in a crowded spot so I’ll be pleasantly surprised it the graft takes but then have to figure out what to do next.
Maybe that’s a sign that I have way more tree experiments than I can handle!

Good luck will hope it works
Dennis

Also if you have a rootstock bud or two below that graft, and it fails, just let the lower buds grow and try again in spring

Yes the Romance series is very prone to suckers. They seem to pop up even at a distance! I probably won’t be able to remove evidence of these cherry trees even if I want to.

You know Chris, that’s actually an advantage, I graft my cherry suckers to help form a thicket near the older trees,use Adara and cherry plum scions to get them started then graft on plums that will pollinate my others nearby. So you can always use those suckers to increase your plum varieties in a reliable manner. The other thing to think about is whether the dwarf rootstock can alone support a larger tree, I know both Adara and cherry plum can form rather large trees, maybe Nadia as well? So if Nadia works you still have options with your suckers!
Dennis

1 Like