What tomatoes will you grow in 2018?

Sorry charlie, er… Tony. Genetics do not work that way. The sweet 100 is highly likely to reproduce cherry tomatoes next year but they are not likely to be anywhere near as vigorous, productive, or sweet as the hybrid. As for the Big Beef, it also is a hybrid with very similar issues. If by chance you manage to grow a plant that is a bee made cross of Big Beef X Sweet 100, it will be a small cherry tomato similar to sweet 100. Why? That is how tomato genetics work.

I gave a description above of an F1 hybrid I am growing from a large meaty heart shaped tomato (Tastiheart) crossed with a small cherry size tomato (LA0417). The result is a tomato that is about 3/4 inch diameter. This is typical of tomato genetics. There are 12 identified mutations - and probably many more that are not yet identified - in large fruited tomatoes that make them produce that huge fruit we enjoy so much.

I got to taste my first mortgage lifter today and in a word Phenomenal! It’s my style of tomato. Much better than the Black Krim I ate earlier this week. We made some really great BLTs on Italian bread, guacamole, and I even added a bit of walla walla onion I’m growing. So good.

What did your BK’s taste like? They might taste better if allowed to ripen some more, even though they did look pretty ripe already.

None of my toms are even close to being ripe, but they were only transplanted about 6 weeks ago.

There’s still a dearth if blossoms on some of my plants, I know it could be the hot weather being the cause, but I’m beginning to wonder if it is a nutrient deficiency. We planted orange KY beefsteak plants in our main patch, grown from seed, and also some down in the corn patch, from a nursery. The OKB in the main patch are large, all three of them over 4ft tall, but with hardly any blossoms or fruit. The ones down in the corn patch are not yet 3ft tall, and they already have blossoms on them, and look like they have some small toms on them already.

The difference? The P and K levels, taken last December, in the corn patch were 609 and 332, respectively, while the same levels in the tomato patch were 77 and 140. The pH of both plots are about 6.0, while the Ca levels in the corn patch were 2315, and in the tom patch, 1486.

Earlier in the spring, before I planted the tomato and peppers in this plot, I added 50lb of ag lime, and 20lb of 10-20-20. I know the P can take a while to be utilized, but this plot isn’t that that poor is it? Except for the Romeo plants, all of them are over 3ft tall, some close to 6ft even.

Any comments?

I too thought it was fabulous didn’t grow it this year, because I coulnd’t Find it! Don’t grow from seed any longer, except for squashes!

Ate my first Cherokee Purple tonight. Another fantastic tomato! They just keep getting better.

Thought I’d post some pics from the 'mater patch. All of them are still green, and getting bigger, although I think that’s because of all the rain we’ve had lately. Hope the flavor doesn’t get too diluted.

Overall view of the tomato jungle, it’s almost become an impenetrable mess of plants. There’s 9 pepper plants to the left near the entrance

Inside the green jungle

Girl Girl’s Weird Thing, a Green Zebra mutation, from @Drew51

Jaune Flammé, I believe

Boxcar Willie

Siberian Pink Honey, fruit’s almost tennis ball sized now

This is Warren’s yellow cherry, far and away the most prolific plant in the patch

Indian Stripe, also from Drew

Russian Queen, a striped Roma type variety

Paul Robeson, a purple tom, has been pretty productive

Plants are looking great! You should have a few toms that’s for sure!

I would buy a second canner! Will they all ripen at once?

Thanks, yes, the plants look huge and green, but they haven’t set that much fruit. I’m hoping it’s because of the heat we had. I have noticed more blooming now than last week, before we got all this rain. We’ll see. I just want to get some properly ripened tomatoes this year, we’ve been a bit unlucky the last couple years, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

Have you harvested any yet?

@mrsg47, thanks. We actually have an old canner we use for water bathing stuff like pickles, tomatoes, etc, plus a newer pressure canner which we use for low-acid foods like beans, corn, and the like.

The plants are all indeterminates, so they should ripen continuously until a freeze. I hope some of the yellow and chocolate cherries ripen soon, the bigger ones will be another month at least.

Has anyone tried or heard of a variety called Pork Chop? I’ve searched this site and didn’t find a mention of it. Looking for another good yellow tomato variety to try.

I picked this black krim today. Im curious what the largest tomatoes are that you guys have been growing. I picked a 16.5 ounce Brandywine as well.

That’s a huge BK, congrats, looks delicious. Brandywines can get big. All our toms are still green, except for some of our yellow cherries. Just hope we can some ripe ones before the deer discover the patch and/or disease sets in.

All we’ve picked so far is a few jalapenos and a green bell pepper.

Wow! My Black Krims are nowhere near that huge! I pick my tomatoes right when they start to turn color. Otherwise the birds get to them. Maybe that is why they don’t get as big. But they are still tasty and set okay even in the heat in Georgia so they are good for me. :grin:

Now that I’m having some success with my tomatoes this year, I think I’d like to grow some for canning next year. Any suggestions for a good tasting paste tomato that has good disease resistance and can stand up to the heat?

I got this Brandywine yesterday

And this NAR as well

The BW’s near the bottom that are getting ready soonest have the most weirdness…, must have been hot/humid when the blossoms were sticking?

The ones higher up and yet to ripen don’t seem nearly as oddly configured.

Just harvested some more. Mix bag.

Tony

I had a li’l issue with one of my San Marzano’s… I woke up this morning to see that one of my plants had just collapsed within the cage.

Just a perfect storm I think… too heavy a fruit load combined with my taking too many supporting branches out I’m guessing. First time it’s ever happened but I’m pretty sure I just caused it by not having enough limbs hanging over the wires and such. Costly, but a lesson just the same!!

So I removed all the fruit showing ANY color, and a lot of green ones were on the ground too.

Tried to get it back up some and tie some supports on but it’s suffering…

But the good news is I was able to come in and have a Tomato sandwich from the big (now ripe) Neves Azorean Red :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the next slice off the NAR will be slightly bigger than the one I used on my sandwich. Real good tasting tomato.

A rabbit got into my netted raised bed and not only ate all of my ripe tomatoes, she ate the tops of all of the plantS. Well, there is aiways August.:sob:

Perfection