What types of pears did you plant or graft in 2023?

What types of pears did you plant or graft in 2023?

3 Likes

Euro types
-Red williams
-Beurre Bosc
-Jubileen Dar
-Abbe Fetel
-Giffard
-Pautalia
-Early Boliarka
-Kyrgyzskaya Zimnaya

Asian
-Korean Giant
-Benita
-Dripping Honey
-Late Korean
-Kumoi
-Chojuro
-Nijiseki
-Tsu Li

Maybe I missed one but that’s basically it.

4 Likes

@DroppingFruit

Great list of pears!

3 Likes

Thanks to a very kind member, I ended up grafting a lot more pears than I intended!

EURO:

Dana Hovey
Deveci
Dr. Desportes
Nova
Urbaniste
Warren

ASIAN/HYBRID:

Juicy Jewel
Shinsui
Ya Li (planted out graft from last year)

I did most of my grafts during a very warm spell last week. And then we got hit by 28F early Monday morning of this week, and 29F the next morning. I covered my grafts with sheets or blankets (over a framework so that they wouldn’t touch grafts, but made a full tent over the entire plant)—and I sure hope they’re all right! A few of my pear, apple and plum scions were pushing buds in the fridge, so I definitely had to get 'em done.

4 Likes

Keiffer
Ayer’s
Magness

I’m in Texas and I don’t know what to trial. The Texas A&M recommendation list is pretty short.

4 Likes

Clara Frijs, Warren, Honey Sweet, and Bartlett.

4 Likes

This year i grafted:

Nashi scions: (22) Drippin Honey , Peggy , Seckel , Shinko, Raja , Maxie, Atago, Mishirasu , Hongpai Li, Shoghori 2, Tennesui, Yakumo , Ichiban , Kam Cheon, Hwang Kum, Hayatama, Hwa Byun Ri, Serui, Man Pong, Seon Hwang , Seigyoku, Pai Li

Pear scions: (19) Comptesse Clara Frijs, Paragon , Kieffer, Moonglow, Duchess D’angouleme , Maxine , Charodiyna, Sonatina, Uta, Vyzhnytsya, Leven, Yai-Gyuren, Kytayskyi Lihtaryk, Veresneve Devo , Vesilna (red fleshed) , Tavryska , Portuguese Black Pear, Amorim , Starkrimson

All of them took… some examples:

Dripping honey

Maxie

13 Likes

Butirra Precoce Morettini
Ubileen
Red Clapp’s Favorite/Kalle/Starkrimson
Harvest Queen
Vesilna
Maxine
Honeysweet
Clara Frijs
Limonka
Magness
Harrow Sweet
Anjou
Devoe
Nova
Seckel
Patten
Douglas
Kieffer
White Doyenne
Dana Hovey
Abbe Fetel
Des Urbanistes
Belle Lucrative/Fondante d’Automne (Autumn’s candy)
Dutchess
Vicar of Winkfield/Curé
Winter Kyrgyz
Highland
Amfora
Bosc
Suij
Deveci
Santa Claus
Seuri
Passe Crassane
Pound
Saint Remy
Okusankichi

I have not exhausted all of my scion wood yet, so I am still grafting!

11 Likes

Good God! :flushed:

4 Likes

Pears are definately increasing in popularity more every year! What a bunch of good pears your all growing! I’m impressed!

3 Likes

Here in Idaho we added a few pears

Ayers
Seckle
Pineapple pear
D’anjou

Hopefully they are good.

5 Likes

I am so impressed!!! I definitely want to try grafting some pears next year! I can’t believe how long some of those lists are. Do people try the varieties before they graft them, or just graft and hope you like them?

2 Likes

I am just working with recommendations- I have not eaten many of the fruit on the list. I have access to a bunch of callery, so I am taking advantage of it. Some pears will fall below my expectations and get regrafted. Some will exceed my expectations (hopefully). There is value in both of these outcomes. I am looking forward to the process.

5 Likes

Mostly just recommendations and research. If I didn’t attempt growing them, I’d have no chance at trying most of them at all! Fortunately, I seem to enjoy most pears. And as Noah said, if they prove unsatisfactory (or dead!), the rootstocks can always be top-worked.

I definitely recommend learning to graft. It can be fun, and it’s really the only way to get certain hard-to-come-by varieties (as well as common varieties on the cheap). When it comes to stuff like pears and apples, it’s also easy. How easy? So easy that even I can do it! ( A good deal of the time, anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:)

3 Likes

euro only I think. harrow delight (couldn’t find hs), seckel, and comice. all semi dwarf.

3 Likes

I grafted in Magness to join my Harvest Queen. Wish I had more room.

I need to find a stick of Gorham.

2 Likes

My options are somewhat limited here in the Great White North, but I do have a Beedle pear on order to complement the three Apostle-series pears in my mini-orchard. Looking forward to receiving it in mid-May.

3 Likes

Flemish Beauty,Duchess D. and Harvest Queen here in Z6a.

Don’t ask how many are taking.

3 Likes

have you eaten beedle? any idea what it’s like?

2 Likes

I have done both. I have tried some varieties of plants but others I have just planted. I tried Magness, Warren and Comice before planting for example. I have found I can get websites that sell the fruit but the fruit may be sold past when trees are out and I have found the fruit from the online places to be quite expensive. I am talking you can buy another tree from some online nursery or try the fruit expensive.

2 Likes