What types of pears did you plant or graft in 2023?

what is good to graft to seckel? could I graft harrow sweet to that tree next spring?

2 Likes

@resonanteye

Most any pear would graft fine to seckle.

2 Likes

I put in a Ayers pear this year. I may have to take out a pear this year though. I planted a standard Comice from Natures Hill last fall and it is the only pear still to come out of dormancy. My Comice nearby is already out so that is not a good sign. I will likely give it another month before pulling it but it is on itā€™s end if not coming out within the next month.

2 Likes

now to hope I can get harrow sweet scions. everywhere was sold out of them, tree and stick, in the fall.

2 Likes

I grafted two trees with Harrow Sweet just a few days ago. If I had known, I would have saved one and sent it.

4 Likes

I transplanted 2 callery out into my field in Januaryā€¦ and grafted kieffer to one and imp keiffer to the other.

I grafted orient to 4 wild callery in the edge of my fieldā€¦ mostly hoping to get some scions from them to graft onto my keiffers next spring.

I grafted over 2 callery at my neighbors house and grafted over two pear trees at my sisters houseā€¦ with korean giant potomac harrow sweet ayers orient.

4 Likes

thatā€™s thoughtful! Iā€™m sure one will turn up this fall/winter.

Planted Bell and Harrow Crisp, both on OHxF 87. Growing Ambrosia pear on OHx333 and Harvest Queen on Quince A. Pittsburgh area, zone 6. Ambrosia sets fruits consistently, but itā€™s a constant fight with animals to get them. Harvest Queen blooms for last 2 years since I transplanted it but havenā€™t set fruits yet, hope this is the year, otherwise it should go.

2 Likes

Nijisseiki x Anjou
Red clapps favorite
Clapps favorite
Carrick Southern
Flemish beauty

Koyoma
Ya li

Not many pears this year

3 Likes

have you eaten beedle? any idea what itā€™s like?

Iā€™ve never eaten a Beedle but it is well regarded by the cold weather gardeners around Edmonton and that is good enough for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I stabbed some prunings from an OHxF rootsock into mulch/soil next to the tree a few weeks ago, and so far the leaves havenā€™t wilted. So I may have ā€œplantedā€ these rootstocks.

Our ā€œspringā€ weather is pretty overcast, cool, and wet, so maybe more conducive to keeping things like that viable longer. We did get a day of around 90 degrees last week though.

3 Likes

Still alive

2 Likes

@murky

We have just discovered why every rootstock company is in oregon!

2 Likes

I put in Honeysweet, Shinseiki, Yoinashi, and Juicy Jewel. Trees arrived in decent shape, so maybe fruit next year or the year after?

3 Likes

Those look like Adams County Nursery stock. Their Asian pears have always done well for me. They could indeed flower next year.

I actually havenā€™t done any pears this year. I did take the tree tube off of the Golden Russet Bosc I bench grafted in 2021 and planted directly in the ground. When I took of the tube, there was a shoot from the OHxF 333 that I cut into 3 pieces and stabbed into the ground a month or so ago. Two of them seen here.

I donā€™t have many good places to graft pears right now. If one or more of these survive Iā€™ll probably do a Abate Fetel.

1 Like

Danaā€™s Hovey grafted. Bob Purvis said itā€™s his fav, and other members here have spoken highly of it. Had my first Warren last year. That oneā€™s hard to beat. Time will tell if DH comes out on top.

1 Like