What unusual vegetables should I grow that I've never heard of?

If your looking at different oyster muschroom strains. For indoor/garage culture it might be worth it to hunt down a spore-less strain. For healt/allergy/asthma reasons.

If your growing on logs outside, id worry less about this.

But if seen pictures of dust filters on profesional container cultivation of oyster mushrooms. And whas shocked about the amount of pollen those shrooms kick out. Don’t want those in my longs/house.

3 Likes

I read SFGate, there is a article mentioned ‘don’t amend the soil or use fertilizer’. I am wondering why? Do you know @kdegs @urbangardener @zendog @lordkiwi @Hillbillyhort

"Growth Habit

Physalis is an annual in all but U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 8 through 11, although it often reseeds. Cape gooseberries sprawl widely, with many branching stems, reaching 2 to 3 feet tall and 3 to 4 feet wide. Tomatillo plants grow 3 to 4 feet tall and wide. Both plants are easily grown from seed. Plant seeds in full sun after all danger of frost has passed in well-drained, loamy soil. Don’t amend the soil or use fertilizer"

While I fertilize tomatoes and peppers I’ve never bothered to fertilize ground cherries, mostly because they are in another area and I’ve just never made a conscious choice to do it. They’ve grown well without it, whereas tomatoes would definitely suffer without the extra nutes. That said, I’ve been mulching the area they’re in with wood chips for several years, so there is definitely pretty good fertility already in that soil. But I don’t know why they would specifically say not to fertilize.

One thing I will note is that I read somewhere (maybe here?) about virus of other disease becoming resident in an area that takes them out prematurely and I have definitely had mine die out earlier the last two years. I like them, but they aren’t my families favorite so I haven’t really tried to get to the bottom of the issue. Sorry, not really answering your question, but maybe just adding some more…

2 Likes

@IL847
Not sure why they recommend no fertilizer / amendments ?
I first encountered ground cherries in crop fields ,
Corn , tobacco , late vegetables. Etc.
They would occur as weeds , and I found them to be pleasant snacks, while harvesting these crops in the fall.
These were weeds in crop fields , so the ground was high fertility crop soil.
Later ,I would plant them intentionally, and grow some as as crop,
Giving them the same care as any other crop.
One thing that I found helpful , was to put something under the plants , cardboard, - landscape ,fabric .?
Makes harvesting the ground cherries so much easier. If they can be picked , swept up off a fabric of some sort.
Whether to fertilize or not would depend on the fertility of the soil.
Most crop fields provide adequate fertility, but Soils vary.

2 Likes

Hmm, where my golden berries reseeded year after year was Washington DC and the soil was heavy red clay. In NJ in my garden soil the reseeding has been diminishing over time so I guess there is something to the not amending the soil. Compost is usually all the fertilizer you need. To much nitrogen and you will get an explosion of weak growth but then your fruits wont flower or set.

I doubt NJ is turning into Zone 7 but I found physalis growing wild in the forest behind my house

1 Like

What I’ve read about fertilizing Physalis and other weedy solanums is that they put all their energy into lush foliage and end up flowering/fruiting sparsely.

My cape gooseberries grew and bore quite well in a nutrient-poor sand patch (overlying compacted clay), and I didn’t fertilize at all.

2 Likes

I have a potted bay leaf tree.
Kept as a house plant , it does good . About 3ft high,provides all the bay leafs I can use.
However ,I would like to start some more , for back up, and to give away.
I have tried rooting cuttings with no success so far.
Does anyone have a good method for propagating more of these?

2 Likes

try grafting avocado to it with an approach graft.

Annie, I am not sure either why they recommend not to fertilize ground cherries. I would throw them a handful of all purpose organic fertilizer every now and then, but they were definitely not spoiled.

As far as your propagation troubles, I had no issue at all. They were a bit slow to germinate but I did not use a heating mat at the time. I simply misted the seeds and covered with clear plastic. Once they started, the germination rate was close to 100% and I ended up with way more plants than I needed. Gave some away to the neighbors and still had a lot.

The two plants in the forefront are my 1 gal container ground cherries. The ones in the ground ended up being slightly taller and about twice as wide. They are definitely spreading plants.

2 Likes

Alex, picture is very helpful. I was going to plant it in a large 5~7glad pot. Maybe plant it in a smaller pot limites its foliage grows and promotes better fruits production

@Hillbillyhort How did the Heartland Chia experiment work out? I’d try it if you had success.

It was not worth while .
Sowed seed in several different plots .
Some early , some later.
Not much to harvest . Disappointed.
This is a typical plant, from my efforts. About 4ft.
They bloomed well before frost , nice blue flowers .
Set seed , just not a lot there .
Not worth my time / effort.
May try again . Not recommended at this point .
Maybe it will do better another year / place ?
Thanks for asking.
I believe it’s as important to report our failures as our success.
This was not a success for me this year.

6 Likes

Thanks for the update. Maybe when the day comes that I do not have enough frustration in my life I will give it a go! :smiley:

1 Like

Sesame
The sesame strain from Monticello did good again this year.
About a gallon of cleaned seed from maybe 24 plants .
Easy and good !
Each year I think I should grow more of it , and maybe I will .

4 Likes

I bought some Monticello Sesame last year and never ended up planting them, what do you think the odds are that they will germinate this year? That yield is really impressive!

1 Like

You will find out if you sow it.

Sesame … Monticello strain
I think , from my experience, 2-3 year old seed will sprout .
After that it’s iffey. ?
For best results start early as transnplants ,Same as tomatoes.
Or, If direct sown, at the first warm soil, frost free Opportunity.,
May , here in West Virginia, but sometimes germination is poor if it’s cool.
If planted to late they will not mature in time.
Other , southern strains have not matured here.
Deer do NOT bother sesame plants here. A big plus.
Harvest before frost, when the first lower pods open.
( open sesame. :grinning:)
Keep upright, covered until dry in shocks or inside .until all the pods open.
Turn upside down on a tarp, barrel ,etc. the seeds pour out .
Easy. Good.Nutrition, high oil . A condiment or staple crop.
Fun , recommended.

4 Likes

I got a Hosta plant today for the spears (are the leaves also eaten?). I also got some Fish Mint (Hottuynia cordata), and after smelling it out of the package… mistakes were made! :sweat_smile: It doesn’t smell like cooked fish, but like raw fish (“Pescao abombao” as my mama calls it). Still, I’m highly intrigued! Does anyone know how to cook with it for best flavor?

1 Like

Yeah it smells like unpleasant fish, right before rotten. In general the white roots are eaten

2 Likes

To me…edible if you don’t have a sense of smell. :slight_smile: