What's going on with my mulberry bush?

Got the Dwarf Black Issai from Burnt Ridge a couple years ago: http://www.burntridgenursery.com/DWARF-BLACK-ISSAI-MULBERRY-Morus-alba/productinfo/NSMUBLA/. Older branches are dying. They shrivel and I cut them out. However, there are some new branches that have come up and they look good. Is this normal for this bush? I grafted on it last year and a couple took, but they’re now dead. I grafted this year and got nothing. I’m in hot and dry Salt Lake City (Zone 7) area and sprinklers are watering it every other day.

1 Like

I had one from Burnt Ridge that grew 7 feet tall last year. Did not leaf out in spring. Then it was attacked by Ambrosia beetles so I cut it back and it came back from roots and was looking good for a while and then it started looking like this:

So it went away…

Katy

2 Likes

Yikes! You made me check the good branches, and sadly I found some of those black spots on a good branch that came up from the roots! I’m afraid this is going the same way as yours.

1 Like

I really don’t have a clue what it was but it was not far from my M. nigra so I didn’t try to find a cure. It had already had a lot of trouble after being disease free last year. And had borne no fruit so I couldn’t see keeping it. Someone else on here might be able to help you with it but mine went downhill in a hurry with whatever it was that attacked it. It does look similar to what mine was doing. :flushed::grimacing::persevere:

2 Likes

Could be sooty canker…Gently rub your finger on a black spot. If the black “soot” transfers to your finger, that is a sign. The canker gains entry where the stem bark is sunburned or otherwise damaged. Cutting out affected branches is the main avenue of control. Painting exposed stems with diluted white latex paint helps to prevent sunburn and re-infestation.

2 Likes

I see a lot of borer damage on the red mulberry here. It seems to open the door for secondary infections. Mulberry is so tough it rarely kills a tree

1 Like

i am likewise hoping that the maladies of @k8tpayaso 's and @rsivulka 's trees are temporary/localized, and that they will bounce back at some point.

where am at, most mulberries seem to be bullet-proof, and may even attain weed-status…

1 Like