What's happening today - 2018 edition

To save bees and irritate bad bugs, would you consider spraying Surround?

@mamuang I dunno. I had never considered it and am now unprepared. Good Idea though I’ll see what I might be able to do.

If it is peach tree, have you thinned fruitlets yet? Sometimes laeves more could help as you hope the buggers do not bite on all of them. If you have no organic spray or no paperbags like Clemson bags readily available, spray with chemical. Spray in the evening. Bee usually go home by then

They are apples.
Won’t the spray get the bees the next day?

Bagging with ziploch sandwich bags would be my way to go. There several threads about how to repare bags. I have bagged in hundread each year. I like it. I think @hungryfrozencanuck4b said it’s therapeutic after tough days at work. I totally agree.

1 Like

@mamuang Thanks for all of the help. I’ll look and see if I can source surround real quick.
Not going to bag. I have 23 trees. I could have over a thousand apples.

@subdood_ky_z6b , Bob, I would be glad to post these there. I couldn’t figure out which thread it is. Would you mind copying the Link?

If you have stores selling organic garden supplies near you, they may carry it. We used to have one and it went out of business!!!

People ordered from Grow Organ8c or Seven Spring Farm. I called Schlabach and mail the order. Got mine in4-5 days.

Donated 270 pounds of peaches today to the Salvation Army. Me and my son Andruw took picture in front of the scale and they will put the photo in their quarterly magazine.

I gave away at least that same amount to family and friends over the weekend! Probably at least another 200 pounds on the trees.

Flordaking, Junegold and Gulfking (not 100% sure) and super productive. I’ve literally picked several thousand pounds off my 5 trees over the last 4 seasons - amazing!

25 Likes

I couldn’t figure out how to link it, but the thread is called “2018 berry plant progress and harvest report”. I started it today. Thanks.

You bet. And yes I do have some irrigation there. It’s drip and it runs 90 minutes once a day. Seems to be just right…

1 Like

Well, we got the taters planted this evening. I tilled the plot and the Doodette planted them. We’re growing Pontiac Red, Kennebec, an unknown variety from a neighbor, and a few Yukon Gold.

While she was doing that, I threw down some fertilizer and lime on two other plots. Putting down the lime with a spreader is nigh impossible, as it’s too light. I ended up broadcasting it with a large cup.

We both got finished at dark, I looked like someone threw flour on me… But that part’s done. I’ll till all that in tomorrow.

3 Likes

Just when I think I have enough fruit trees, just when I tell myself I am done and need no more varieties my son goes shopping. He sends me a text of a pear tree that I now need, what I don’t need is a child who is an enabler :blush: But I am glad he is.

15 Likes

That is impressive Outdoor334.

1 Like

Dime-size hail and torrential rains in central Maryland today.

6 Likes

Wow @Matt_in_Maryland. Any damage?

So the 2018 canning season has officially begun for me.
This made 16 pts.
IMG_1685-1
But wait! There’s more, LOL.

12 Likes

Had to spray… I found a dozen PC scars without looking terribly hard. I thought I could wait until weekend when I had more time but was afraid of waiting 2-3 days.

2 Likes

Are those beets? If so, what kind? Even the beets I started indoors are nowhere near that size. I tried High Mowing’s Early Wonder beets this year and have had great beet greens, but they haven’t sized up like that yet. Well done.

Thanks Jim. The variety is called Cylindra. For me, they are much easier to process (peel/clean) than the round ones. I started these indoors too, into cells, trying the multisow technique of Charles Dowding…can’t find the exact date… but I see where I xplanted the cells to the hoop house on 1/30.
I don’t think I’ll do the multisowing technique again with these as that method is better suited to harvesting as you need them. But with beets, I process them all at once. Plus I think the clusters may have caused a little more curvature of the root - not sure but don’t remember them being kinda curved before.
Oh, I gave the greens to my son who said there were about $100 worth of organic beet greens (had to use a lawn bag). Personally not a fan of cooked down greens.

3 Likes