What's happening today 2020

13 hens here. 11 adults

1 Like

Ha!!! You know it! It is so gross… don’t know why they do it, but nothing makes the little guy happier than running out to the pasture and finding a nice chewy turd. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

We are on the same wavelength!! I have a neighbor who raises alpacas. He dumps their straw near the road on my way home. After getting his ok, I tried once to bring a trailer by and move some by pitchfork. I got my car stuck and about killed myself trying to move it. Wouldnt a bobcat just fit the bill! I suggested it to my husband last week :sunglasses: Just a pipe dream, I’m afraid.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that just be great? So much fun, think of all the things you could do with a Bobcat. Might be cheaper to go the tractor/loader route. @moose71 got a good deal on his! Either way, I have to save for quite awhile! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We saw one recently on Craigs list for $1600 (as written) Turns out, of course, it should have read $16,000. A minor typo. Argh…

2 Likes

$1600 woulda been a steal! :grin:

1 Like

One way to look at it is there efficiency! If there mouth and coat just didn’t smell so much after indulging :roll_eyes:
When my dog rolls in stuff i think yep that’s the spot where the diarrhea, puke, death etc happened.

2 Likes

Those are magnificent. You don’t even have to dye them for Easter!

1 Like

I get to pick out my Anduze pots for my trees and move into my new apartment today! Yayyyy. Let the growing begin!

4 Likes

Those are GORGEOUS! Im seeing Marans, Americauna. What are the others? I’m down to Americauna, Red Stars, Mille Fleur (bantam), and Barred Rock. What are the speckled ones! Love them.

1 Like

Dogs have a strong digestive system. It still seems like food to them. On the other spectrum rabbits have a week one. If you ever get lost in the woods you can heat up rabbit turds with water and survive from rabbit dew stew! lol

1 Like

Ah, man! I do miss the Flint Hills, even if it is nice to be back among the trees. I both loved and hated burning season. The flames are beautiful and important for managing the landscape/preserving the prairie. But boy did it screw up air quality for a few days in the spring. There would always be one or two days where there’d be a rain of ash even in town. Between that and the sound from Fort Riley’s live fire training grounds, MHK could feel a little apocalyptic at times.

That being said, it was a lovely town overall, and we made a lot of friends there. It was a tough choice to leave, but if we were going to stay, we wanted it to be on purpose.

1 Like

We look forward to burning season!! The regeneration, renewal… springtime is here!
Makes me think of our Lord and Savior, who died and was brought back to life. Dead dormant grass, gets burned up and everything is pitch black as far as you can see.
Then 2 weeks later- wow. Bright green hills, so alive, almost hurts the eyes.
You know, I feel really blessed in one regard to burning season. The smoke does not bother me, or any of my family members! I love the smell of springtime in the Flint Hills!! I have met a lot of people that have very averse reactions to the smoke. I don’t know any personally, but I understand people with severe asthma or other respiratory conditions can have very serious reactions, even requiring hospitalization, unfortunately.
We used to rent a place really close to the Fort. Our property backed right up to it. It was fun watching maneuvers and helicopters and such. We got so used to the “booming” we didn’t notice it after awhile. Visitors from out of state, however, usually jumped out of their skin at the first loud shell! :crazy_face:
Sounds like you are happy where you are, so that is something to be very thankful for!

I think I am very glad that I know a lot of wild edibles. I will forgo the rabbit turds unless I am really desperate!! :rofl:

5 Likes

Me too! I learned that in the wilderness class way back in high school. He was trying to teach survival from camping near bears to getting lost in the forest. We read from a book that taught us what plants we can eat that are easy to identify like dandelions. The stew was just in case you couldn’t find or remember what he was teaching. It also added humor to the class which gets everyone more interested in the class.

3 Likes

Thank you. Olive egger, cherry eggers and welsummers (speckled)

Should have known the olive egger. I will keep an eye out for welsummers. Thanks for the info!!!

1 Like

I planted a Hall’s Beauty Blackberry.bb

6 Likes

Found a beautiful, quite large, Moorpark apricot while I was picking up some extra tomato starts. Spent the last bit of daylight getting the sucker planted. I’ve been told for a long time apricots were not reliable around here(DFW). Hoping with three trees(Tisdale, Peggy, and now Moorpark), I’ll have at least one that fruits well each year.

6 Likes

My buddy dropped off around 10 yards of wood chips yesterday.

I spent my evening moving them. I consider it my workout for the day and good for orchard and garden. Two birds one stone.

14 Likes