What's happening today 2020

Awesome! I caught the Asplundh truck in my area a couple of years ago and two trucks dumped their chipped wood in a pile. It wasnt finely cut like yours, but a good source of ramial wood chips. I used them around trees for years. I know how convenient that can be :+1:

4 Likes

A guy in my neighborhood started a tree service. We was able to drive 30 minutes to dump them for free, but then they started charging. I’m able to get as many chips as I can use. Again, I deeply believe 2 hours of shoveling wood chips at a fast pace is magic for the body and soul.

Have you stopped using wood chips recently?

3 Likes

I am struggling with getting my chickens that are free range to play nice and stop throwing mulch at each other. I have cut back, but not for the right reasons. I am using more living mulch like comfrey and doing a chop and drop. They dont seem as interested in tossing it around.:chicken:

2 Likes

Yeah, my chickens make a mess of the wood chips when I let them on it. I rake it all back into a circle the best I can. Still haven’t got an comfrey, one of these years hopefully.

2 Likes

i stopped free ranging my chickens for the same reason. they love looking for worms in there. i just got tired of having to rake everything back.

4 Likes

I bought Bocking 14 Russian comfrey from this shop in Esty 3/2018 and it has done nicely for me. Bocking 14 is non invasive and does not spread by seed.

That’s a good price. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Wow another from Oregon. Have you tried Columbia Giant? Darn those berries are big!
Darn! I’m so out of room! Keep us updated on this one.

2 Likes

I have Columbia Star,but not Giant.Another one to try possibly is Columbia Sunrise.
I’m going to Raintree in about a week and may pick one up.bb

Was at Lowe’s the other day checking out things. Looks like they started to get in their fruit plants and trees. Not a great selection of apple varieties, but came across some of these-

No, you are not seeing things. A twisted trunk double apple tree! Never seen anything like it. Don’t know how it could grow properly. Anyone seen these before?

New to me. I’ve seen a few apple trees do something like this in nature (two fairly close at hand) and I always assumed they were sprouts from the same discarded apple core. It looks to me like one of those things that you can do but shouldn’t.

Nevertheless, if I had thought of it I would have to try it …

2 Likes

That would be a neat one to toss into the front yard. I haven’t seen anything like that locally.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Might work on a DWARF tree? I see at $64 they are real proud of it!

3 Likes

They have sold those for years at my local Lowes and Menards. I had a neighbor in my old neighborhood 25 years ago who had a mature tree(s) that they had done this to. It was such a pretty tree to view after the fruit had set. One whole side was a red variety and the other a yellow. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just imagine how much neater it’d be if half of it had green leaves and the other half had the red leaves of a red-fleshed apple!

1 Like

Our yard is a total mess with dug up holes, stone piles, pruned sticks, etc. Thankfully, the daffodils are prettying it up a bit!

These ones are in love :slight_smile:

Got these bulbs from Costco, which were advertised as a colorful mix, but I only got the yellows :disappointed_relieved: false advertising!

8 Likes

The first flowers in my yard were blooming today.

Temp was 72. That was very high for us here.

18 Likes

Our golden crocuses showed up today - pretty early for us, a near-record. We saw cultivated buttercups in a neighbor’s yard a few days ago, but no wild ones yet. Lots of bird activity -ducks and geese have pair up, flickers are courting, everybody’s claiming territory.

We only hit middle 40’s today, but have touched 60 once this spring. I actually went out and tossed a few lettuce seeds on a spot yesterday … ground is still frozen underneath, but lettuce self-seeds sometimes, so I thought I’d try it. Any seedlings are liable to heaving with the frost, but they can be tenacious, so fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Ah spring… thank you for sharing a picture of those beautiful little crocus’. :slight_smile:

3 Likes