What's happening today 2020

Thank you. I am not sure - but the tree may have been nibbled on, by voles and others - at the base. Anyway - it toppled. The only one that did. :persevere:

Finished with this years canning today. Well, at least I ran out of jars.

Cooked applesauce using cracked and rough looking Staymans . Makes delicious applesauce though.

Plenty of apples left though mostly Winesap and Staymans. Need to do some serious research on cider. Guess I need to start a thread on the cider forum titled “Dummy needs help with cider fermenting”. :grinning:

6 Likes

I finished up digging out tree tags from under the mulch I added to the older section of the nursery bed. I spent 2 half days doing this. I had planned on doing it this spring and didn’t get to it. I wanted to ID the pear trees I have on OHxF97 as those 10 trees are the first I plan to dig and plant out in their permanent location in the orchard. In doing so I discovered my delay and the deeper mulch had allowed the trees to root out higher on the trunk and the tree tags got trapped in the new roots (metal tags attached with wire). I had to dig out the mulch untwist the wire of the tree tag and pull it out. I weeded out the horse nettle as I went. Not a fun job, but one caused by my own procrastination.

9 Likes

Here’re the last of the Golden Noble.

SUMMER’S OBSEQUIES.

The gentian weaves her fringes,
The maple’s loom is red.
My departing blossoms
Obviate parade.

A brief, but patient illness,
An hour to prepare;
And one, below this morning,
Is where the angels are.

It was a short procession, —
The bobolink was there,
An aged bee addressed us,
And then we knelt in prayer.

We trust that she was willing, —
We ask that we may be.
Summer, sister, seraph,
Let us go with thee!

In the name of the bee
And of the butterfly
And of the breeze, amen!

6 Likes

Ate a King David apple… Lots of bad spots to cut out, owner didn’t spray it at all AFAIK. Was glad that it had that powerful and distinct taste I remember from eating them as a kid. Especially since I grafted a scion from the tree this spring. A bag we bought from an orchard store last year were noticeably less flavorful. At least I know the scion source of this graft is true…

1 Like

This is a photo of a Yacon plant or maybe 2-3.I starting growing this year for the first time,after seeing @Luisport had one and doing a little research.
Luis,at this stage,will there be any fruit to try?That’s about a 5 gallon grow bag.The thing could be put in my greenhouse and probably get a few more weeks of growth.There were no flowers yet.bb

4 Likes

Hi! I think it’s better to wait untill the plant turns more yellow, almost dead. At least it’s what i do…

3 Likes

Took six bushels of apples to the cider mill and brought home 20 gallons of raw apple juice. What now?

6 Likes

Yayyyyyyyy!

Either ferment it or get a case of Sweetzel’s and have a socially-distanced cider party.

1 Like

I took this picture at my buddies house today. Cherry tomatoes on a monster tomato vine.

14 Likes

The first photo is our property when we purchased it in the fall of 2017. The second was taken today and shows what has been cleared. The third photo was also taken today and shows what has been done this fall: I ran the subsoiler through more of the site to help get more roots from the pine trees out. After that I ran the disc harrow through. To the left you’ll see my first row tilled and ready for planting this spring (approx 700 feet), and 3 additional rows ready to be tilled. Making progress, but really need to get that fence up.

21 Likes

WOW… lots of hard work! Looking great!

1 Like

you got a little piece of heaven there. great job!

It beautiful! Clean and ready!

Got my first bag of persimmons from a friend. These are Hachiyas. Started ripening them in boxes with a banana

I’ll get many bags of Fuyus soon. Today, I saw a few boxes left on the sides of the streets on my afternoon walk around the neighborhood

8 Likes

First Hachiya to ripen (it had a small damage on one side). Tastes like a jello

12 Likes

I’ve finished processing olive oil for this season. On the photos, this is the last batch for this year — Itrana mono-varietal EVOO. About one liter of oil was home made from about 40 pounds of olives harvested from two trees planted in spring 2016. Itrana is a variety native to the Latium region of Italy. The oil has a beautiful dark green color, but the flavor is relatively mild, for example, in comparison to a typical Tuscan blend. Other batches this year included mono-varietal Kalamata, Picholine, two variants of Tuscan blend (Leccino, Frantoio, Maurino, Pendolino), and a couple of other blends.

19 Likes

Varietal olive oil! How neat!

2 Likes

More homeowners in zones 8-10 ought to try olives.
In 6b I’m sort of thinking it would be more effort than reward.

1 Like