What's Happening Today 2021

I removed my row of multi grafted Krymsk 1 trees. Chainsaw took them down in a few minutes. Got rid of all my container trees. Making some big changes. I’m keeping a few things but much less to deal with as i move forward.

1 Like

@warmwxrules → Yeah, I’ve come to the conclusion that “less is more” for my orchard, I just can’t make the final decision on what all to axe. Any reason why you focused on the multi grafted Krymsk 1 trees? I also have too many container trees, it’s so hard to keep them watered. The handful that I take good care of produce well for me, however. I’ll keep a few of those.

Honestly they were just kind of ugly looking trees/bushes. With all the various grafts they looked a little odd and they needed lots of pruning (k1 pushes growth constantly). I’m done overwintering container trees. Maybe another day i’ll try it. Need my garage space back for now. I still have too many trees and will continue with more removals.

1 Like

Wax, why don’t you try sell your container items on Craigslist? Or at least set them at the curb to give them away. A lot of people wouldn’t care if they were unbalanced. You may be getting burned-out with caring for them, but remember your excitement back when ordering them? Give some other fruit newbie that same adrenaline rush. Well, maybe not adrenaline rush, but fruit-growing fever.

2 Likes

So I guess I didn’t do enough research on how long these traps should hang and how to properly clean them. It’s been 23 days since I installed the wasp traps and they seemed to work great. I’ve admittedly ignored them until yesterday when I noticed that there were no living wasps in them, only flies. I then realized that all of the sugary liquid was long gone and the activity now was related to flies feeding on a 1" thick puck of dead wasp carcasses. Yuck. Still didn’t think much of it until I went to dump the traps out and add new sugar water. Those decaying wasps smelled just like a 23 year old dead deer on the side of the road. I had to hold my nose to suppress my gag reflex. After scrapping the dead wasps out I rinsed the containers and washed them in a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water. I refilled with sugar water and sure enough the traps are full of restless wasps this morning. I will be sure to clean them out more frequently instead of letting them fester.

3 Likes

Picked several Bartlett and Korean Giant pears. Picked all my REDFIELD apples.

5 Likes

Rain!

3 Likes

You picked your Korean Giant a lot sooner than I usually do. Mine ripens in early Oct. We both are in zone 6. I assume your hotter summer helps speed up its ripening time.

1 Like

Very hot and very long summers here, KG still ripens in October.

Sliced two pounds of my white peaches and they are now happily in the Freezer waiting for xmas, new years, or someones birthday! Nothing like bringing out fresh tasting fruit in the winter!

Hello. I think Korean Giant is correct…but since it came as scion from
a respected forum member…I suppose mistakes happen.

I picked a couple from each branch on this pear "frankentree’…
then I set about on a step ladder to remove grafting tape from 3 or 4 grafts added this year. And in doing so, found the Korean Giant easily knocked off as I bumped some with an elbow…they hit the ground from 6 feet up and almost splattered…they were ripe.

I also picked (thinned) some Yoinashi that were hard as rocks…and left the others. This tree was not thinned in spring…but the pears are still large.

(Afraid limbs would break…but 10 large pears on a limb grafted sixteen months ago…held up to the load…thinned all varieties except the Ayers limb had only 3 fruit and I left those big guys to hang longer.)

I also picked some Bartlett…to finish ripening in storage. They may be a couple weeks away from ripening on the tree…and they’re better picked early.

Speaking of early ripening…picked all my REDFIELD apples. The references say “ripening period 5”. I’d say maybe “3” as Fuji, Braeburn and winesaps not nearing ripeness. The Redfield all but a couple turned lose in my hand as I moved the apple about some with my hand. (Boy, the cobbler I made from the Niedzwetzkyana apples is mighty fine…having a second helping for breakfast!)
BB

1 Like

Pretty sure your KG is not KG. It is hard to imagine the same fruit variety in the same zone could ripen 7 weeks earlier. There are several russeted Asian pears that ripen now.

When grafting several scion at the same time, I, sometimes, tagged wrong labels to the wrong grafts. The senders sent me the correct varieties. I mislabeled them myself.

1 Like

Digging up an in ground apricot seedling. Have no idea if it is going to like to be moved during this time of year. Just going to move it for now.

My KG are no where close to ripening and I’m in 6a/b

Same here in regards to Korean Giant. Mine are still sizing up and we have very hot summers here. My Shinsui are the only Asian pears starting to ripen and they are one of the earliest too. Snap a picture for us @BlueBerry

The only two ASIAN pears I’ve ever been sent
had been marked Korean Giant and Yoinashi…
but since
these are my first ever
home=grown Asian pears
I cannot be sure.
They are indeed a giant pear…nearly softball sized. (Roundish and russeted, slightly taller than broad.).

(I don’t have a smart phone so no pictures for you too look at.)

2 Likes

Ate one today…skin too tough to suit me. Flesh ripe and juicy, some grit.

1 Like

In my family we don’t eat the skin of Asian pears, but we eat the skin of some European pears.

I peel skin off russeted Asian pears. Thin-skinned like Shinseiki or 20th Century, I eat them skin and all.

1 Like

I’ve got a neighbor that loves the thick skin and the grit…so he may get most of my Asian pears! This first one lacks somethiing to be desired.