What's Happening Today 2021

Ok. After I made winter melon candy. I might want one for the soup

Had no clue what I was doing but took some of the late ripening pink lady apples and made a few candy apples with my daughter. Spirit of Halloween I guess. Also tried dipping a keiffer pear into the candy mixture. The apples were much better since they were firmer and had nice tatness to balance the sweet candy coating.

These were not fancy by any means, strictly just to do.something fun with my daughter and use up some of the apples we harvested.

10 Likes

My former boss used to make and give us her candied apples every year. Some had ground peanuts on them. Some had chocolate ganache on the bottom half.

3 Likes

You candy apple reminds me of candy hawthorn I had when I was in China,that sweet tart flavor . I think it should work well too with crabapple which is more tart.

1 Like

Taste is quite nice. I added about 10 drops of cinnamon extract because that is the way I remember them being at the local carnivals when I was a kid. I should have taken a little more time to get the coating a thinner on the apples. As the coating cooled it thickened and makes the candy coating a little heavy and difficult to bite through. The first few apples I dipped had very loose runny candy and it allowed for a nice thin coating that easier to eat.

If I do it again I’m going to leave the pot on the stove to keep the heat in the candy.

1 Like

Is winter melon the same as bitter melon? I had a lot of bitter melon soup in China.

Hell no… God, I hope they never figure out how to create hybrids either.

1 Like

My favorite as a child!

As you can tell from my previous response, it’s definitely not on high on my list. >_<

Though, in China, as regular fare, winter melon soup is much more common than bitter melon soup .

Bitter melons…

I like them. They have medicinal properties.

3 Likes

TREES ARE BEAUTIFUL, PERIOD

Mike

2 Likes

Thanks, yes now its coming back! It was a difficult soup to get used to.

2 Likes

Very commonly used in Thai cuisine is stuffed with minced pork.

Another common dish is slicing them thinly, mix with egg (beaten) and stir-fry.

6 Likes

They always used that excuse when I said I disliked anything. >_<

1 Like

We try to eat them once but they were too bitter…

After you clean them and slice them up for stir-fry, people put salt in those slices, mix and squeeze juice out. Then, wash off salt before cooking it.

For soup, you could par-boil the melon and throw away that first water before making soup. That’s what I do when I make bitter gourd/melon soup.

I cut them up into diamond shape pieces about 1-1.5” pieces.

2 Likes

Maby we did it wrong…

Wrong? What do you mean by that? Are you expecting it to not taste bitter?

The preparation and cooking method are going to help cut down on the bitterness and help pair the bitterness with other “complementary” flavors. However, if you’re expecting a dish with bitter melon to not taste even a little bitter, then you’re expecting too much.

1 Like

Lol… maby that’s it… for us it was too bitter, but maby i didn’t take some of it. I don’t remember how we prepare it. :grin:

Your orchard is looking great Andy! Lots of hard work going into it, for sure.
We look forward to your future success as well!!!

2 Likes