What's Happening Today 2021

I was curious about which peppers have edible leaves, so I looked up the Mad Dog 357 site that @IL847 posted above, there is a little bit more information they post:

All Leaves of the Capsicum pepper family (below) are safe to eat if boiled or cooked.

Capsicum Frutescens

this includes the African Bird’s Eye pepper, Kambuzi pepper, Tabasco pepper, Malagueta pepper. The plants may also contain flowers which are not edible.

Capsicum Annum

this includes the banana pepper, cayenne pepper, and serrano chili peppers

Pepper Leaves Not Safe to Eat

Most leaves that come from the Solanaceous crops like bell peppers and also eggplant, tomatoes and potatoes.

Bell Peppers are classified as Capsicum annuum, but are listed under the DO NOT EAT part. So be careful and a little cautious folks.
I found a few references that said in general, for any pepper plants, only pick the small new leaves, not the large older ones. The toxin levels are higher in the bigger leaves. And always cook your leaves, do not eat them raw.
I think this warrants looking into a little further for more information about which plants specifically are edible and which ones are not (or are more risky).

3 Likes

Hey, everyone has different taste preferences. Like my lifelong Catholic friend tells me, “just know that I’m silently judging you as we pretend to laugh along.” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for your research. I am not keen on remembering which varieties have edible leaves, which not. So, best for me not to eat any of them.

3 Likes

I finished planting out rows 6 and 7. That will be it for this year, it’s too wet to till additional rows. I eliminated 2 trees from row 6 and planted an additional 88 trees between the two rows. The orchard total is currently @ 348 trees and I should have about 212 additional trees to transplant from the nursery bed next spring.

14 Likes

I picked up one of my houseplants I brought in about a week ago to relocate it and found this hitchhiker underneath. I think he was probably snacking on slugs or other critters who had crawled in through the drain holes and was still inside the pot when I brought it in. It is a harmless little Dekay’s snake.

18 Likes

Was passing through the produce section at my local Kroger today and saw an apple called Sugar Bee. I always like to try anything new to me regardless of if it’s a club apple or not.

The apples were very pretty and a very dark deep red which doesn’t translate well through the camera. As red as the darkest Red Delicious, only not trashy mush like RD. Round in appearance. Apparently it’s related to Honeycrisp. I found this variety to be very good. It’s harder and firmer than HC. Very juicy and crunchy but doesn’t quite pop in your mouth like HC. Flavor is more complex with more sweetness and enough acid to keep it from being a sweet bomb. There is a distinct flavor which I can’t seem to identify.

I assume it’s a club apple and not available but I’d grow it if it was.

3 Likes

I see those. I don’t remember if I’ve tried them. There are so many now, I’m losing track of my mental notes.

1 Like

My neighbor dropped off a beautiful brick of beeswax today, along with 2 honey’s : Japanese Knotweed honey and Goldenrod honey. We have a beneficial exchange of services, we mill logs for him so he can build bee boxes and/or nucs in the winter, and we get the benefit of his bees @ the orchard and some beeswax for grafting and honey for my tummy!

6 Likes

Sounds like a pretty good arrangement.
How does knotweed honey taste? Didn’t know it had invaded the US to the extent of becoming a source of surplus honey.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet, I was unaware as well. Our NY DEC is finally taking action on trying to control knotweed, but it seems like too little too late.

3 Likes

yeah. its so bad here that the state gave up trying to eradicate it. a friend had it on his land and it took him years to seemingly get rid of it with very strong herbicides only for it to reappear 4 yrs. later. the stuffs impossible to kill!

1 Like

Mmmmm,one of my grannies in the 1950’s (and later until she passed) had the only one I had seen for a number of years…(by 1980’s I’d see it in ditch lines, though) … she
was so proud of it, but didn’t want to let anyone
dig up a piece of it’s root or share it. :slight_smile:

Tonight is Reveillon, the big Christmas meal after church on Christmas Eve. Presents are opened. Either ‘Chapon’ (capon) or turkey is served. Oysters and scallops. A Buche de Noel. A feast! Christmas day is quiet. The 12th night, the tree comes down. Then on to the Truffle Festival in January!!!

3 Likes

no one celebrates Christmas like the the Quebec Canadians do. they have festivities in the streets and decorate like nothing ive seen in the U.S. and they love a good party. seen whole blocks of people in the Old District in Quebec City signing Christmas carols for a week before Christmas. its such a sight to see many people here go there for Christmas. at least they did before covid.

2 Likes

This thread’s gone silent, so maybe I missed the start of the 2022 one?

My veggie grow list was just thrown out the window with an arrival of a new package of seeds from a seed swap. Too many seeds!

4 Likes

Trying to root figs. We don’t know what we are doing but We shall see the results. I have good help.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I love it being a family affair :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Also a great handyman!!

2 Likes

Love your daughter’s unicorn sweater!!!

1 Like