When plants are too big of a problem

Just let me know. I’ve got both autumn olive (red and yellow) and goumi (and the kiwis too)

I’m curious about sherbet berry. Have you gotten any fruit?

If not it might be like my Chilean guava plants that I grow but have not yet gotten to fruit, My most successful was almost 2 feet tall before I lost it. I’m trying again with 4 plants, one variegated.

I have a bay tree I’ve moved in and out for the past 4 years. I lost more than half of it 2015 winter. Root rot over winter, and not sufficient watering, are its greatest weaknesses. (Hard combination but it’s not been a hard plant in a 4 gal pot.

Scott

1 Like

Last year it produced around 15 berries, but I could not tell when ripe. They appear to remain hard and mealy. The berry is used mostly to make juice. Unlike some, since I like to cook and all, I’m willing to just use it for juice. I’m into unique tastes and such. But it does have to be somewhat productive. Fifteen berries were really not enough to do anything with. This year it is having a hard time, lost all of it’s leaves in acclimation. It requires strong light, and in the house for the winter didn’t work. This year I’m leaving it with the figs. See if it will go dormant. It’s too big to go under my lights. It’s a fast growing tree. The leaves are coming back, but it took a long time. It’s next to my Night Jasmine outside. That plant is cool. I just burn off the indoor winter leaves and it grows new ones super quick. It has already grown new leaves this year. I put it in direct sun from indoors, no acclimation. Night Jasmine is tropical and does not go dormant. One of the most vigorous plants I have ever seen. Easy to grow. It has the world’s most fragrant flower. The whole street will smell it when in bloom.

So far my apricot has given me the most trouble. After two years of struggling with blueberries in my alkaline soil i have found success by adding magnesium (epsom salt) and using exclusievly rain water. Also, i feel like it is almost impossible to overwater the blueberries, they seem to do better and better the more I water them even with mulch on top. The hardy kiwi has also been very troublesome.

1 Like

For me it’s loquats. I tried multiple cultivars, planted them in different locations in my orchard, tried different watering schedules, but they all died within a year. It’s a mystery, since they’re supposed to grow well in my climate. I gave up after spending at least $500 (likely more) on loquat trees. All Chilean guavas died also, but I didn’t spend as much effort on them as I did on loquats.

These have really helped.

5 Likes

We had an extension agent in Boulder from out east that really missed blueberries so he came up with a system that worked to grow them in our alkaline soil in the high desert. Here was his method. Open the top of a large bag of peat moss, plant the blueberry directly into it, then plant the whole thing in the ground (don’t even bother poking drainage holes). Mulch heavily with wood chips. Put your drip irrigation on a timer (but pretty much run it all the time :slight_smile: ). He fertigated with liquid fish (and adjusted pH with vinegar IIRC). He wrapped each bush in burlap sacks in the winter to minimize the dessicating effects of the drying winds. And he built a gated enclosure to exclude the birds. Easy peasy ;). But, if you really like blueberries (and who doesn’t) it worked remarkably well!

2 Likes

They grew like weeds when I lived in Houston, but everyone plants ornamental varieties (the fruit is still apricoty and delicious, but not nearly as good as some of the improved varieties). Any fresh fruit tastes pretty darn good in Feb-Mar-Apr (though citrus season is still lingering).

I think my Mericrest is dead…started flowering and that was that… just sitting there. Last spring it had borers…but i got rid of them and it grew fine… I butchered it back…i think i’ll just sit it off to the side and see if it does anything…probably a goner (and won’t be replaced)/

That’s a neat strawberry patch! I should try to do something similar with the 3 plants that came up this spring after all the killings I did.

1 Like

Did your Westcot bloom or set fruit?

1 Like

No, it was just planted this spring…did not bloom.

1 Like