When to bend

From the longest day of the year (June 22) to July 15-20, bending of new branches below the horizontal can begin the slow process of changing the tenor of branches from maintaining a vigorous, vegetative state, to slowing growth down and changing the buds to becoming more fruitful.

I think most of us bend down limb but I never considered the best time to do it. Below is a link to the details.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/bend_branches_now_to_encourage_flower_bud_initiation_in_high_density_apple

8 Likes

I don’t think it is a good time to do it now, branches get too brittle in the winter. Spring would be best when growth start. Just make sure that the tip ends are a little higher than the center of the branch, otherwise you create water sprouts. Wait!!!

1 Like

I twist pear branches right before the new growth is about to turn from herbaceous
to woody so that they are horizontally growing instead of vertically growing.

1 Like

It is interesting to see when any why others bend limbs. Most of my bending has been focused on getting wide angles, early fruit bud formation, and limbs reaching the length desired. I have had some success but I know that there is more room for improvement. Bill

1 Like

Hmm, gotta try this next summer on several of my young trees that haven’t yet fruited. I tied one down to a stake in summer for a Rambour Franc, but it was so young no blooms have formed. I also did not subtend it below horizontal, thinking a greater than 45 degree angle would suffice.

Will try this, thanks for posting.

1 Like