When To Pick Tomato

Do you pick a tomato as soon as it turns full color or wait for it to soften up a bit on the vine?

Is counter-ripened as good as vine-ripened? I always figured no but not sure after reading more.

2 Likes

I’m not sure either but my heirlooms often split too much when it rains so I remove them if turning before I water or before rain.

2 Likes

For many heirlooms, I pick once they start fissuring and cracking on the top. They’ll last on the counter that way for about a week with flavor staying consistent or slightly improving.

2 Likes

I tend to take them just as they hit full colour and then finish inside. We don’t get a ton of critter pressure but fully ripe tomatoes are at risk so we do better to take them in before they hit prime deliciousness.

1 Like

Not sure about other regions, but here in the northwest as nighttime temps drop below 50 F it is time to clear all outside vines of fruit and let them ripen indoors. Leaving them out after that only invite spoilage. Prior to that we often pick those turning for indoor ripening to allow others still green to ripen faster.
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

I’m not so sure I agree with that. Here in inland California we get nights May, June, Sept, Oct below 50° and our tomatoes do fine. Heck I was pulling cherry tomatoes off my Super Sweet into late November a few years ago. Mind you, we get very warm days well into November (and beyond) but in our very dry climate the cool nights don’t seem to phase them.