When you don't have any more room for another fruit tree

I have been admiring your persimmon trees on growing fruit for a long time. I keep telling myself that they just take up more space than I have available. So what did I do? You guessed it, I now have a large Fuyu Imoto on Lotus rootstock. I was in my minivan and I asked if it would fit. The seats let down so it has about a 4’x8’ space available. The tree took up most of the lengthwise space and it looked like a 10 gallon container was attached. Right before I closed up the van I spotted a muscadine (Supreme) I had been looking for a long time. I looked into the van and decided there was just enough room to fit it beside my persimmon tree. This morning I’m trying to decide where to plant these.

13 Likes

You made the right choices, Bill.

I feel like I’m about to do the same with a July Prince peach tree that keeps going in and out of my Adams County shopping cart.

Best just to pull the trigger and get it over and done with.

5 Likes

Seems to me there is often more regret over NOT getting something like that, than going ahead and getting it. Somehow the inspiration for where to put it comes after the fact. Good decision, Bill.
Having said that. I try to stay away from those places, not because I don’t have space for more trees but rather because of the extra work that each tree requires. Maybe when I get past the overwhelm I’ll revist these places. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Funny isn’t it Bill? You will not be disappointed!!!:deciduous_tree:

3 Likes

My persimmon tree is now planted in the back yard. After planting it stands about 6.5 feet high. Most of the bigger trees that I plant are somewhat root bound but not this one. I splurged a little on this one and paid the price for a larger tree. Hoping that the larger tree and almost no root damage will give me an earlier bearing tree. I’m excited about learning how to grow and properly manage this tree. I’m an older guy who is as excited as a kid with a new toy.

6 Likes

You are correct. I squeezed it into a corner of my backyard.

It is amazing how much easier it is to dig a planting hole at this time of the year in my location. I have to be careful not to mess the soil up by digging when the soil is wet.

1 Like

Totally agree Bill as far as the ‘this time of year’. I last longer and can get more garden/yard work done when the temp is in the 40’ and 50’s. Love it. The only down side is the days are short. In fact, I make a list all summer of projects to tackle in the winter b/c heat erodes my stamina.
As far as working wet soil, I’m ‘outside the lines’ on that one. I dig in wet soil, plant in wet soil, etc (often of necessity) and have not seen any adverse affects to that. Just transplanted a cherry an apple and 4 small citrus last Friday between rains, LOL. Love this time of year.

1 Like

When you have not enough space - you start to plant at your neighbors). Two of my neighbors blessed with my ornamental planting on THEIR land, thinking I am supper sweet neighbor and dedicated grower. In fact, I just try to free up my own space and transplant my decorative staff out of my land , where I still can see them and take care of them(keeping in mind current nice neighbors), but if they sell their lands and new owners wouldn’t be that cooperative - I am OK to loose few flowers and rose bushes. But now I have some space for my apple trees!

6 Likes

Ha! My rose bushes also reach for the neighbor’s (sunnier) yard!

1 Like