Which disease resistant apples are you growing?

Have you had CrimsonCrisp? They are like those in texture or one of the newest Cornell releases, RubyFrost, I think. WineCrisp are hard, dense apples. I do recall a couple having some sort of extremely nutty flavor that was off putting, but most were good. I can’t really do any useful job of describing the flavor 9-10 months removed.

But maybe ask again in 2 months? I will get a few more and report back.

I wonder if they would be insect-resistant with that extremely firm texture.

One I have that has not been explored yet is Jonafree. I ordered it from Burnt Ridge. The Jonafree was hit really hard with fireblight three years ago but survived and has produced a crop annually. I like its flavor a lot as I prefer a tarter apple. It’s not as tart as Jonathon but has a nice balance of tartness and sweetness. We’ve had some really tough growing conditions here these last few years. I too have Crimson Crisp, but it’s only in its second leaf.

Thanks. I haven’t had a CrimsonCrisp, either, but the orchard we’re visiting will have both CC and WC next month. Sounds like the WC is one of those apples that need to sit a while to get the best flavor out of them.

Regarding being possibly insect resistant, I read that Arkansas Black have that trait, and that’s a very firm apple as well.

I grow Winesap, Goldrush, Pristine, zestar, King David, and Honeycrisp here in Indiana. Winesap has been best producer. Very little disease…I only spray with a need tonic and surround.

Winesap has large fruit, and they are almost ready to be picked. I find I quite tart and last year used it for hard cider. Very vigorous grower. I will let them age for a month this year before eating.

@Berryboy Interested to know your disease experience with King David? Various sources say both blight susceptible and blight resistant .