Why didnt i think of this

16 Likes

Some states like MD. have to pay a rain tax unless they have a collector for the roof water. Wonder if that would count as a collector.

1 Like

That is sooooooo cool!

1 Like

really cool idea.

I am worried tough that it might overwater or flush away soil/nutrients in the plant pots during extreemly heavy rainfall.

Would a good “fix” be to water from below?
Let the rainpipe go down to the bottom and let the plants/soil soak up the water?

1 Like

You would need some kind of overflow and/or shut off valve to divert the water when it’s not needed.

The lack of control would be the problem… you could end up with just way too much watering that way… especially in early spring for me.

Would be better if you had a collecting tank/barrel with a valve so you could water as needed.

TNHunter

2 Likes

WHAT??? A rain tax?

1 Like

I do not live in Md. but I am near. They have to collect rainwater from the roof top or pay a tax. They claim the roof water pollutes the environment somehow.

BUT just in their state it pollutes. The other states rainwater going into the waterways that eventually go into their rivers do not pollute, right? LOL. I would like to see that research paper and reference material. So laws really make you scratch your head.
What do they do with that money I wonder?
I did not know anything about that law.

2 Likes

We have a rain tax here in Ann Arbor Michigan too.

Just in the city itself?

Yes

im not sure for the exact reason in your case.

But due to increased rainfal intensity and the pressure that puts on overflowing sewers. Lots of cities in the EU are exploring ways to “buffer” the rain.

With sod roofs, non tiled (planted) gardens. And not sending roof rainwater into the sewer.

Not because roof rainwater is “bad” but because there is to much for the sewers to handle.

2 Likes

San Diego solves the roof rain water pollution issue by just draining all the drain water directly into the ocean without touching it at all…wait what?

This is why you cannot go into the water here after a heavy rain fall, too much run-off pollution. If you take the city’s Lawn Replacement rebate, you have to install a rain catchment feature to collect rain water runoff and then help it get absorbed into the ground. They suggest dry ‘stream’ beds, etc.

1 Like

The exact reason in my case is that the city wants to collect more money from us. There is no more rainfall here than there has ever been.

Ideally we can up pollution enough and then we have a whole new economy in the ability to sell people “clean air” as well.

Here we have a sewer tap fee that goes towards collecting water run off and sewer expenses which seems reasonable. A rain tax sounds like a good way to push certain people over the edge however if you dont have to pay it if you have a dry bed or handle your own run off that sounds fair.

1 Like

What do you do with the rainwater? What if the rain is too much for the " rain collector"? Who goes around and makes sure you have a rain collector?
This question is also for others that have to have a rain collector or have to pay a rain water tax?
Again, what do they do with the money they collect for the rain tax? The rain water here goes into the sewers and then it ends up in the river. There is so way they can put filters in the river to purify the water from running off the roofs since it the water comes into the river from different tributaries. Sounds like a real rip off , yet again.

1 Like

In Colorado, a semi arid state, we were not allowed to collect rainwater for many years. Supposedly collecting it, and watering your garden from what you collected prevented it from flowing back into the rivers. Since we have a unique water law system based solely on whoever used the river water first back in the 1800s, this would interfere with senior water rights. Now we are allowed to collect one rain barrel.

3 Likes

I live in MD. The “rain tax” as a state mandate was repealed in 2015. It was simply a fee for handling storm runoff. This can be an extra tricky subject in a state where your most important resource is an ecologically sensitive estuary (Chesapeake Bay). Storm runoff fees are now handled locally by each County.

2 Likes

How did they “handle” storm runoff? Did they process the runoff water or did the runoff water go into the sewers and into the rivers? You may not know that but it seems amazing that these cities or counties want to tax you as if they are actually doing something with the rainwater.