Why Do You Garden?

I love to get my hands in the soil, to see the emergence of new life, to reap the rewards of my efforts and to enjoy and relax in my “kingdom”

Hah, your right, masochist is what I meant, but my spouse may agree about the sadist part :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m at the point where I have to pull things out to put things in. LOL!

Marcus

3 Likes

I’m really enjoying the fact that people are chiming in on this. I very much relate to all the reasons given. Whether one attributes it to the Creation Story or to a hardwired survival skill resulting from natural selection, I very much think it is hardwired into humans to try and grow things. Even nomadic tribes around the world would tended to manage groves of fruit trees or berry bushes or herbs growing in specific locations when they pass through even if they did not stay in one place enough to engage in formal agriculture. As I mentioned in my video, I suspect that gardens are not just in our past they are in our future as well, but that’s a conversation for a different venue.

I will throw another idea out there. Plants generally make easier pets than animals. LOL!

4 Likes

@galinas, very nice row covers.

Thanks! Once on a yard sale I got three big boxes of metal binder clips for free. They make the cover making much much easier! I am still using them, but have much less then 3 boxes and start to worry about what I am going to do when they all are gone! :grin:

Beautiful Galina, I love how tidy and organized everything looks. Enjoyed looking at these.
But you forgot one thing…Gardens reduce the amount of grass there is to mow, LOL.

2 Likes

Galina,

I like your garden and all the beds, mine are not so nice. I completely agree about what you wrote, except that I like to go to gym in winter, when I do not work in the garden :relaxed:

1 Like

When seeing the first pictures,everything looked miniature and then it seemed like they were taken with a drone or someone standing on the roof of the house with a camera. Brady

1 Like

What a great thread! I can relate to so many comments here.
For myself, I didn’t grow up gardening. In fact the animals we had growing up killed the citrus trees in their pens, and ate the roses every time they got out. Back then, I thought the garden was more work then it was worth. I was a kid, and I had a horse to ride! Now I would sooner give up my horse, then the garden (and orchard of course!)

I love watching plants grow, and eating food I can feel good about. Hubby and I have eight reasons to grow and put away food, and we think it’s healthy for them to help where they can. Get eight or so people, each going down a row, and the weeding gets done quick!
I think given the size of our family, the acreage we have, and considering their ginormous appetites, it is far cheaper for us to grow as much food as possible. In the summer, we hardly have to shop, and hopefully the big high tunnel will extend our “low shop” season.
And I kinda have to agree with Bobc, it is a compulsion of sorts. I find grafting trees, and acquiring new varieties addictive. I am sure I’ll reach a point of equilibrium at some point, where maintaining what I have leaves me too little time to read nursery catalogs, and descriptive forum threads, and decide there is another must have somewhere, within my reach.
I’ll pass on the gym though, in favor of mucking out a barn even!..but must admit the tomatoes smell better. :smiley:

3 Likes

Why don’t other people garden? I don’t get it. My children don’t either.

4 Likes

It is from my second floor deck, and also it is a hill, the beds are on terraces :grinning:. But drone is a good idea​:grinning:.

Do not give up your horse!!! You need horse manure, it is much more difficult to bring it home bagged in you sedan 30 bags in a time from somebody who is lucky to have a horse! :grinning:

I started my little orchard because I wanted something that I could do with my daughter and also because I love fruit. I admit I underestimated the amount of work it required. And when I learned about grafting I was blown away that I could do such a thing. So it became somewhat of a challenge. That being said, I’m going into my third year of the mini-orchard and I get a little disgusted with myself when I see all the mistakes I’ve made. It’s a learning experience and I certainly won’t starve without the fruit but I’ve not been as successful as I’d hoped.

3 Likes

I started because I wanted to eat better. I have a tough time getting myself to eat healthy food, but I knew I would eat anything out of the garden rather than waste all the time and effort that went into producing it.

I do it now because I enjoy it so much, there’s nothing better than growing and harvesting my own produce.

2 Likes

No, you never reach that equilibrium. You will start pulling old, now boring, things out to make room for new. LOL!

1 Like

Moley,

I’m thinking you’re referring to the big peach?

Believe it or nor I still haven’t heard an official answer on that. It’s been a 6 mo. (and counting) saga so far.

One of my friends said I should apply for a second world record - the longest wait for a world record. :rolling_eyes:

4 Likes

You might be right coolman, but in my case I have ten acres at home, as well as two neighbors with a whole lot more acreage I can plant trees on, so I don’t need to rip things out to keep expanding. This means that the sheer mass of trees and work might stop me at some point. Gonna have to see. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, that’s even more dangerous LOL!

2 Likes

Oh my. That’s a long time to wait, and I still want a Lady Nancy peach tree, but alas, cannot find it. ACN was the only grower I could find, and they are and have been out of stock this season. Boo.