Wild plum, suckering?

While out working in the woods yesterday, I found a lone wild plum. I’ve got a number of wild plums here, and most have a clonal growth pattern. The lone specimen I found yesterday has no other plums around it anywhere. Is there something I could do to promote root suckering? Just wait?

1 Like

If the tree is young it might sucker after it is more mature. It could be an unusual low sprouting tree such as Guthrie. If it is an older tree you could try severing some of the roots out away from the trunk. On my small lot none suckering would be a desired trait.

1 Like

Cut it down to ground level and it’ll sucker.

Dax

2 Likes

That was my first thought, especially since I had a running chainsaw in my hands. I decided not to cut it down because I’m not 100% sure it’s an American plum and not a Canadian plum. I believe Am. plum would indeed respond with suckering if I cut it down, I am not sure about Canadian?

It doesn’t sucker as heavily.

Prunus nigra

Dax

1 Like

Root disturbance often produces some suckering as well.

2 Likes

What is your reason for wanting it to sucker?

If your intention is to use it as rootstock then you can just dig up a root and graft directly to the root. Eventually the overstock may develop its own roots where it contacts the soil.

1 Like

Good question, I should have given more details. I want more of them for wildlife and for taking over more space in place of the ironwood (Am. Hophornbeam) I’m cutting in the same area.

If a plum tree is going to sucker at all, the way to stimulate that behavior apart from cutting it down is cutting around the drip line. That method works good on my trees. God bless.

Marcus

ps: That method works on blueberries as well including Vaccinium elliottii.

2 Likes