Wildlife in our gardens

I love spring. I took all these photos this morning, and these aren’t even all the nests in my orchard!

The thing is, every part of my brain tells me it is stupid to allow birds to multiply in my orchard- the opposite of what I should want. And I’m a hunter with no compulsion about killing animals in the right circumstances-I’ve posted photos of rabbits I’ve taken and cooked up. But my heart and my brain can’t get together on this. The idea of killing or even just tearing down the nest of a mama bird and her babies/eggs is something I can’t quite get my head around! Oh well…I’ll enjoy them while they are nesting and then spend the rest of the summer trying to get rid of them! How much sense does that make? :slight_smile:

First is a Robin, as you can see from the sky blue unhatched egg. I know for a fact that these guys were born last night or early this morning.

The next one below is a Brown Thrasher

Next up is a little sparrow of some kind. This nest is actually IN my blueberry bush!!! Now that is REALLY dumb on my part!

Finally, a khaki duck nest. This one is fun for me because I just got 4 khaki ducks 2 weeks ago. They had been living in a tiny dog pen in an urban part of downtown Nashville. It was thrilling to turn them loose on my little hobby farm and its been fun watching them acclimate to the wide open county! Within a few days 3 of the 4 of them (all 4 are girls) built amazing nests and began filling them. Since I only have girls, I went online and found some fertile eggs and I’ve switched them so the moms can actually have some babies. :slight_smile:

BTW…one thing I found really interesting- and unfortunately you cannot see it at all in the photo- is that on the Brown Thrasher nest the entire OUTER structure of the nest- the “frame” part that was later filled in with smaller, softer things- was made of grape vine trimmings and especially grape vine bark. That is especially unusual because my grapevines are at the complete opposite end of my property- probably 400 yards away! That is a LONG LONG way to carry fairly large sticks and a LOT of bark. There were lots of similar sized sticks and other materials much closer. I wonder why my grape vine cuttings were preferred? Nature is neat.

Look at the eyes!

goats are cool! if i had the room, a farmer nearby sells miniature goats. my nieghbor has 3. we go see them all the time.

Goats will eat ALL YOUR PLANTS!!! I love them too but unless I could put up an inescapable fence I won’t have them anywhere near!

ive sen goats eat sheet metal and plastic when bored! i totally agree!

Yep, his half-brother has blue eyes too. I like his build better though. He has thicker horns, a thicker frame, and shorter legs. He’s gonna be me future sire for my own line of goats.

I have a “no escapes tolerated” policy. That’s all I’ll say on that matter.

I’m not sure there is any such thing ha. I have a 5 foot tall goat fence (welded wire with small squared) and running 8 inches about that is an electric wire that shocks HARD. So that is almost 6 feet and topped with a hot wire. The whole fence line on all 4 sides is flush with the ground. Sounds inescapable right? Well, it isn’t! Not often, may 2-3 times a year, I have one get out. sometimes I can figure out how they did it, but sometimes the entire parameter is in perfect shape top and bottom and I can’t figure it out to save my life. They are magicians. Let’s just say if I had your policy, @BambooMan , I’d be short a few goats by now. But I do get the policy…it is almost always the same one or two who are the escape artists. I guess they are the “dreamers” who think the grass must be greener on the other side. haha. Funny thing is they usually just stand outside the fence and bellow and cry to get back in! haha.

Is there a tree they can climb out on?

They are beautiful!!!

You solved a couple of the mysterious escapes. there used to be a limb you would swear no 4 legged animal could have climbed-too steep and too small- but sure enough, they would use it to get about the fence top and then they would take a flying jump. And once I had a tree fall against the fence. It didn’t hurt the fence to much but I did give the goats a way to get to the top of the fence, then they would jump down to the other side. But this doesn’t explain all the escapes. All I can figure on the others is they somehow managed to squeeze thru where the gate sits against the gate post I tie it to. Sounds obvious until you see how small that space is and how large the goats are in comparison. But they are clever magicians!

I found a wad of blackberry leaves all webbed up today. Thinking it might be web worms I tore into it and this is what I found.

I love spiders!!! :heart:

Katy

I know spiders are good guys, but that many of them just made my skin crawl😀

I’m with Sara…not a fan, but it was a neat pic!

But they’re just babies!

Now i don’t care who ya are! That’s funny…

Years ago, had some friends who kept goats. One time when we were standing by the cars and talking, one of the goats went from standing next to us to the top of her station wagon. One jump, from standing in place, no effort. It is very hard to keep animals who can do stuff like that enclosed.

Oh and the other thing, like deer goats are browsers not grazers naturally. And apple and other fruit trees are their favorites.

Saw this snake in my yard yesterday I’m guessing around four feet long by the markings it could be a rat snake?

I would say so too.

Looks like snakes are popular this year, got a batch of young-un’s in one of our ponds. It’s hard to keep them and the turtles out.