Wildlife in our gardens

I’m a Turkey Hunter too…The hunter’s are always the best conservationist contrary to the talking points out there. I love animals and all wildlife and enjoy watching them and owning domesticated pets immensely but I love to eat meat too and i find hunting to be the perfect way to do that and to avoid all the UN natural stuff being fed the grocery store meats. I think it’s very cool you helped the little turkeys and have a great respect for wildlife. It’s a good thing to strike that balance and it seems you have…

You and I would get along quite well, as we clearly have similar philosophies! Most people think being a hunter means you just want to kill things, but as you said, hunters (and especially the money they spend) is what does the most to promote wild animal welfare, management, etc.

Cool! I actually sort of hope that is the way mine will be, though if she is a hen I’d love to see her raise a brood. Otherwise, I’d love to have some wild ones here that could roam my property the same way my chickens do.

found a canadian goose on the side of the road. it was laying there and tried to walk away from me but couldn’t. i wrapped him in my jacket and brought him home. put him in the chicken coop in a quiet corner with food and water nearby. after a week he was outside trying to get out of the run. i caught him and released him in the fire pond next door where there were 2 can. geese w/ babies already. he jumped out of my arms into the pond. for 3 days i saw him feedng on the shoreline then didn’t see him any more. must have flown away. my good deed for the summer!

order some online. all kinds of breeders sell them. pretty cheap too. put out a feeder for them and they will slay around your place.did that with some phesants and they stayed around my place for 4 yrs. think they moved on or predators finally got them.

Mrs. Oriole in her banana leaf nest

Our bats were out early. Right above our heads, so cool and so graceful. They followed us halfway to the house.
My guess is the squeaking in batspeak was hey, very useful, these tall walking things really attract yummy mosskeeters.

Its a big black ugly snake and I will no longer watch your snake pictures. Too creepy!

Looks like what we call a water snake that is frequently misidentified as a cottonmouth because it has hour glasses on it’s body and an aggressive disposition. Keep in mind I’m on a smart phone and it appears to be in the hay.

At first we were worried that it was a cottonmouth or eastern massasauga. Black Rat snakes are common around here, but that didn’t look like the adults. I’m guessing it was a foot and a half long. It was actually in some dry grass. I guess the picture does clash with the much nicer pics in this thread. I’ll take it down and ask some guys at work instead!

Just wanted to be sure you all saw the recent photos I posted above:

Nothing new to post…they have a few more feathers but look about the same and seem to be coming along well.

Thanks for alert us for tha baby quail picture! The first picture looks like baby chicken.

They are so cute!

There’s a chipmunk inside of that log, and my dog really wanted to eat it. I was hoping he’d get it, too, because the dang thing has eaten every single one of my strawberries this year. It eventually came flying out like a bat out of hell- I’ve never seen something so small run so fast. The dog didn’t even see it, it was so fast. He thinks it’s still in there and won’t leave his post. Good dog… I guess. ha!

The last of the monarchs my kids and I raised from egglings is drying out in this pic. Good luck to her.

peanut butter on a rat trap. But keep the dog(s) inside…

HISTORY OF COYWOLVES - 2 MINUTE HISTORY

Peach Thief, Caught in the act…

Oriole chicks