Wildlife in our gardens

Green Lynx Spider–so named for stalking its prey and pouncing on it like a cat. Waiting…in my garden today…

Katy

14 Likes

I’m not sure if I like this or not.

2 Likes

I’ve got a lot of these. Doesnt seem they ever do any damage but they do some incredible webs and will make you step back with an encounter. They are quite big!Preformatted text

11 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

Ya, I spent a lot of time as a kid in and around Brackendale. I still remember the phrase, “winter nesting ground of the Baldeagle”.

1 Like

golden silk spider, orb weaver family. They get huge. That’s a female. males are tiny…here’s one I ran into…

10 Likes

We were out in Colorado on vacation this summer up in the mountains. My wife and I were hiking and came across these guys all over the trail. I’d never seen so many butterflies in one place and we don’t have anything like them in Florida.

It’s some sort of fritillary, maybe an aprhrodite. They’re common in the mountains. Wish I had gotten a better pictures it’s really a beautiful insect.

9 Likes

Our new place, deer and rabbit visiting every day.

9 Likes

Vincent,

That rabbit needs to be in the crock pot.

Tony

7 Likes

my family has owned 5 of these before they were recognized as a purebred. very independent cats. last one my father had would come sit on you but if you tried to pick him up would draw blood overtime! i called him vicious beast!

2 Likes

Evil-doers!

1 Like

She is too big, I don’t even know whether or not she is a wild rabbit.

Doesn’t look wild. :rabbit:

3 Likes

That rabbit is not a wild rabbit. More like someones pet.

3 Likes

Someone probably released it or its ancestors instead of putting it down. Or tried to free range…

1 Like

I think so too. In next Spring I will move there some of my fruit trees but have to fence very well.

1 Like

zebra longwing, on firecracker bush in my back yard…zebra’s are the official state of Florida butterfly. This was taken right after Irma, interestingly enough I also saw several swallow tails and some painted ladies, but no pics of them…

9 Likes

A playful evening for hummingbirds tonite, here.

My best photo from my deck. Ruby-throated. 25-30’ from:

Dax

18 Likes

This large bird was hanging out in our neigborhood today. For awhile it was a couple hundred yards away perched on a eucalyptus tree. Its back was brown, with white markings in the lower part. I’d say at least 24" high. As Janet brought it into sight on her camera lens, it took off. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Butterfly visiting the maypop. Not sure what she is.

5 Likes