Wildlife in our gardens

Thanks, Roy.

I was in Keokuk summer last year. Visited a garden on the far East side of town on top of the bluff. Keokuk is the difference from where I live where Acer palmatum (Japanese maple) fancy-leafed cultivars may be grown. I can grow the red-leaf forms and japonicum and shirasawanum but not the fancy palmatums.

The guy’s yard I visited had a ton of fancy palmatums. That southeast corner of Iowa is shaped like Florida.

I have read of Geode Fest while searching for what minerals/valuable gems can be found in each state. I don’t recall much though. I’m interested in hunting for valuable stones/gems and would like take a vacation to do so.

Dax

1 Like

It was fun but I don’t think you’re likely to find anything very valuable.

1 Like

This Nothern Gannet should have been at sea not sitting on the beach so he must have been very tired or injured.

5 Likes

Dax, a beauty. Thought of you tonight as I bought my black walnuts on line for my annual dinner featuring my black walnut cake, for dessert. It was a nut I will never forget. Picking them in the woods with my father, and using a hammer to get out the nutmeats. After a day of fishing or hunting, or shooting, then going back into the woods for mushrooms and blackwalnuts is something I obviously will never forget.

5 Likes

My friend Fred Blankenship says “don’t let pecan steal the show.”

A recipe for you and all from Fred’s girlfriend:

Kay Wonley’s Hickory Pie

1 Regular Pie Crust

1C Chopped nuts: Hickory or Pecan

1/3C White syrup

1/3C Packed brown sugar

1/3C White sugar

2 Tbs Butter

2 large eggs

pinch of salt

1 tps vanilla

Mix all together. Bake at 300 F for appx. 55 minutes

*This is a pie that improves in flavor the second day. "Fred Blankenship"

Heartnuts add xtra vanilla

black walnuts add 1/4 tsp. vanilla

Don’t let pecan steal the show. Use any nut in a pie. Fred Blankenship

6 Likes

Patio guardian.

16 Likes

Queen of the garden

2 Likes

Female Immature Cooper’s Adult Red Shouldered Hawk hunting and vocalizing at the utility pole in front of our house :slight_smile:

9 Likes

shelob.

1 Like

That was my thought!

1 Like

she’s clearly an orc-eater. :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

She’s small. While living in the Pacific Northwest I observed much larger orb weavers this time of year. They were the reason we ate a clove or two of garlic per day.

Every picture is wonderful! Love the birdie in the nest!!!

okay not wildlife but nature so I’ll post this large rainbow that appeared over the back yard last night. Only lasted ten minutes or so

18 Likes

Profile view of female Red-Shouldered Hawk

9 Likes

Come to my house!

Mrs. Redtail Hawk … silhouette at dusk :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mrs. RedTail Hawk and the dove she caught this afternoon.

10 Likes

Big birdies!

Banana inflorescence and bee at sunrise

13 Likes