Wildlife in our gardens

they are like the eastern version of the wolverine. I’ve seen some here near as big as a fox. they have a nasty temper when confronted!

3 Likes

Cool! Maybe you can make friends with it like the opposum story.

2 Likes

Yes, I have filmed a fox on this game cam as well and you’re right, pretty much the same size. I’ve heard the Fisher can be pretty nasty, but seem to be shy of humans. Haven’t seen one in the flesh. This porcupine den is a popular place, we’ve filmed coyote, fox, weasel/mink, skunk and of course porcupine. We removed 3 from here last spring but didn’t relocate them far enough away and they came back. Not sure what I’ll do with them this spring, getting nervous our Labrador will tangle with one of them.

1 Like

LOL, I think I’ll opt to keep my fingers !

2 Likes

I’ve seen 2 while deer hunting and 1 i called into 50ft. away with a predator call. neat looking animal.

4 Likes

Mixed signs of spring -
The Gold Finches are back and getting their summer color:

… but the Evening Grossbeaks still haven’t left:

This was the first year the Gold Finches didn’t over-winter here. They usually dominate the feeders.

5 Likes

First butterfly of season that I’ve spotted. Eastern tiger swallowtail on creeping phlox.

Also seeing some lizards which I believe to be an eastern fence lizard and a ground skink

10 Likes

Nice bed of phlox

That’s a single phlox plant I got at Lowe’s last spring. Didn’t realize how much it would spread in just one year.

2 Likes

[sigh] I wish mine would do that

Saw this guy on my fence yesterday, pretty sure it’s a red shoulder hawk…

12 Likes

Hooded Oriole

12 Likes

@Richard
Do they eat any of your fruit? We have them here and people leave oranges out for them.

They drink and bath daily in our bird fountains. Their diet is mainly insects and they leave our fruit alone.

2 Likes

Bath time!

9 Likes

Giant swallowtail larvae are back…I’ve seen several of these guys hanging out onmy citrus trees…this one on the meyer lemon…

5 Likes

The queen was unhappy I captured her army!

4 Likes

Ladybugs have shown up to take care of the aphids. This is the first time they have taken to the pluots…

6 Likes

Where did you get the trap? It looks pretty effective.

My daughter is home sick today and the squirrels must know I’m not around…this guy is making a solid effort at getting to that food, but the squirrel buster is doing it’s job…I was hoping a passing hawk might have picked him up but no luck…going to put my trap back out tomorrow…

9 Likes