Wildlife in our gardens

Excellent!

Junco couple coming to eat cracked corn off my patio which goldfinch and chickadee threw out.

Kat watches for more birds as guard dog.

7 Likes

I had that happen with my cherry tree and the plastic bird netting too.

1 Like

Updates! Let’s see how HE did. (I didn’t know the male Oriole built the nests!)

1 Like

What a great clip, thanks for posting. Butterflies are one of life’s simple pleasures. They embody grace and beauty .

“Butterflies are flowers that fly and all but sing”- Robert Frost

1 Like

Well, the female helps too! She’s currently sitting on eggs in the completed nest.

5 Likes

WOW! They have been BUSY! Thanks to you and your cool photos, I’ve just been goggling other photos and facts about “western Orioles” (same as hooded oriole??) and find them really neat (nests and the beautiful birds themselves which I was unfamiliar with). Of course we don’t have them here, nor any other bird that builds a nest similar to that. It looks like a nest you’d see in the rainforest or something. fascinating to me as a big nature/animal lover, so thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Yes, aka hooded oriole.

2 Likes

You know what these are…TURKEY!!

14 Likes

They are all over the place. They ate some of my young green hot peppers today. I chased them away.

2 Likes

They came back and walked right through the garden!

9 Likes

Dinner!

3 Likes

good to keep the bug pressure down.

2 Likes

The starlings were here last month, built a few nests in our neighborhood and also cleaned out a lot of beetle grubs :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a wild turkey hunter, I love those photos and love those birds- both as game and as bug catchers. We have lots of them around here, and I often see dozens of them out in fields. However, I’ve often remarked how rare it is to see baby wild turkeys here. I guess mom keeps them in the woods and under deep cover until they are the size of those in your photo or larger? Knowing how much hawks enjoy my baby chickens, I’m sure thats why turkey chicks stay under cover.

4 Likes

Found this nest in a small pine tree I was thinking of cutting down. Not sure what type of birds they’ll be.

10 Likes

Kat is begging to go pretend to be a plant and roll in dirt again. She is wildlife. Life with her is wild!

6 Likes

The nest itself and egg markings look like a Cardinal is the likely resident.

5 Likes

16 Likes

Got a pair of Indigo Bunting. I’m having an extremely difficult time getting my camera to focus on this sedge patch they continuously eat in.

15 Likes