Wildlife in our gardens

Yeah, angry bird

1 Like

Oddly enough, these live as far west as Spokane, WA - never in the city. Iā€™ve seen as many Eastern as Western Kingbirds in my life. (And never too many of either.)

4 Likes

So this happened this evening. I walked by a netted blueberry and found this little guy flopping around, caught in the net!

Donā€™t worry, as much as I donā€™t like rabbit damage on my trees and plants, and even though I hunt adult rabbits occasionally, there was no way I could hurt this little guy. I took him in my car about a mile away and let him go in a big overgrown field- he should be fine! Cute as can be though!

15 Likes

Not in my garden, at Shortys nursery, and I even got a video of it. :slight_smile:
(Purple phlox)

7 Likes

Yeah; think Iā€™d try to save himā€¦ you got a dud of a Game Fish & Parks rep that time- usually theyā€™ll take them to an animal/ wild bird Rescue/ Rehab center. I did that once; w/ a Night heron I found- and also w/ a Gt. Horned owl I found in our hen house; attached to a duck. We Released him in a wildlife refuge- GFP officer & I. Ground chicken ( blend w/ a little water) would prob. keep him alive till you can contact a rehab centerā€¦ GFP would have the #; or call themselves if you can get an UN- lazy one on the phone.

1 Like

@Julieh hi! Heyā€¦Iā€™m a little confused about your replyā€¦were you talking about the baby rabbit? He didnā€™t need any wildlife rehab- he was small but definitely old enough to to make it on his own. I drove him about a mile and half from my home and released him in are area that is all grown up with grasses and trees and no one has gardens nearby so it should work out great.

You may have been responding to an older post of mine- Iā€™ve taken on a lot of critters over the years and have showed several here, so you may be talking about one of them? Either way, I appreciate the comment and agree with it completely!

1 Like

Thereā€™s also this:

2 Likes

One word: tularemia.

1 Like

My yard is getting very popularā€¦there were about 25 in this group, some not in the photo. These critters are bug and seed eaters but also berry eaters. Not sure how I feel about this new crowd moving into the neighborhood, since they also get inside the orchard area (with berries).
(BTW the ā€˜thingā€™ is an antenna I just built, so-called: hentenna.)

6 Likes

Wow. Iā€™d sure love to give one of those a good case of lead poisoning, if you know what I mean! ha But yea, they will be hard on some of your fruit. My free range chickens not only pick and eat berries, but any low lying fruit is fair game and they will peck chunks out of almost an fruit they can reach., Iā€™d think your new guests would be the same! Good luck.

2 Likes

Spunky danger noodle garter. Only about 30 inches but curled up n tried to give me hell :rofl:

13 Likes

Very pretty patternā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a beautiful snakeā€¦

Here is a tiny salamander I found in my pool

14 Likes

Isnt it? Lovely snake

2 Likes

Beautiful red color, like a plastic toy

1 Like

Omg how cute! Im glad you saved him from the pool.
I love salamanders. We have the black and reddish ones here
I also saw a shorthead garter last week near my barn. Very pretty snake, bronzy colored

1 Like

Hiding after a catch in the grass. The he hid his head in the trees!JCS_1064JCS_1069

9 Likes

I needed to hear that. Just like with deer, theyā€™re all cutesy until they start eating food intended for yourself. Iā€™ve already grown a pear, so to speak, so Iā€™m no stranger to taking protective measures. In this, my first year of copious berries (saskatoons, gooseberries, etc., plus the usual) I lost a lot to birds, then I covered the big berry areas and still lost a lot. Could be raccoons or ??, all within the fenced orchard. Time to get serious. :rage:

1 Like

Neat-looking serpent

2 Likes

One of those at work here today - feathers all over

I suspect the Cooper

2 Likes