William's Pride apple - is it good?

Can I get WP in dwarf size and if so where can I purchase one? Also does it require a pollinator?

Check out Cummins Nusery.

1 Like

Check here about pollination Online pollination checker for fruit trees

2 Likes

Yes, you can. How dwarf of a tree you want? It depends on a rootstock you want your tree to be grafted on. M 27 is very dwarf. M 9 is also dwarf. Then there are Budgovsky (Bud or B) series amd Geneva(G) series.

I have M27, B 9 and G 41 rootstocks for my dwarf apples. They are at different height.

Best if you google apple rootstocks and read up their pros and cons before you order a tree. Knowing rootstocks will help you now and in the long run.

2 Likes

in last 2 yrs. i lost both my lodi and fuji to fireblight. im going to try WP next spring just for its resistance to F.B. planted a Garfield King Y.T from st. lawrence nurseries this spring. hopefully, with a good spray regimen i can keep it healthy.

Moose,
Choose a rootstock that has high resistance to fire blight is also important, in addition to a fire blight resistant variety.

1 Like

It scores top marks for ease of growing here. Despite an unusually wet summer, no bug damage and no fungal issues with no spray (bugs may have been drawn to other nearby apples). The apples are clean and blemish-free, unlike my ugly, bug/rot-damaged Ginger Gold apples (apparently they need a spray program).

Since there hasnā€™t been very many sunny days this summer, it probably isnā€™t a good year to evaluate flavor potential. Compared to other apples, however, mine are sub-acid with a soft texture that doesnā€™t store well. Like a lot apples, they come off the tree before being fully ripe. It was worse at the beginning of the month. The flesh still had green tinge to it. Although they are coming off riper now, I can still taste some dry astringency. Usually I bag apples and put them in the fridge for further ripening and flavor development, but they seem to be getting softer rather quickly in storage. Hopefully they will ripen better on the tree in better weather.

Iā€™ll probably use WP with more tart varieties for juicing and the occasional fruit platter.

1 Like

None of my WP have looked that good.

any recommendations?

Moose,
It depends on how big you want your tree to be. I like mine dwarf/semi dwarf so I like G 41. There are many rootstocks to choose from based on soil condition, disease resistance and cold hardiness.

If you google ā€œCornell, apple rootstocksā€, you willl find several articles talking about them and showing comparison. Pick the one that most fit your needs.

3 Likes

thanks! ill check it out.

Our first Jefferis apples. They look quite different. Crisp, sweet, and spritely.

7 Likes

Nice! Itā€™s one of the varieties that overwintered well for me.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed they leave Arkansas Black aloneā€¦for instance.

2 Likes

Beautiful apple with a nice taste. Not one Iā€™d call top 5 in my area but it is pretty and disease resistance.

9 Likes