Wilty tips on my Poms

I have 2 poms I planted in the ground about 6 weeks ago - one Kazake and one Salavatski. They were pretty overgrown (close to 3 feet tall) for their 1 gallon pots and seemed bit rough looking when I got them last fall and I didn’t see a lot of new root development when I un-potted them to plant them this spring even though the tops were leafed out and growing. That said, they generally seem to be doing well and putting on new growth. But I had some tip wilting on hot days when they were in the pots and that still persists on the hotter days. I’m trying to figure out if I’m seeing less wilt, but I am surprised that they seem to be growing well, but the tender tips keep doing this on hot days. Here’s a pic:

I was pretty sure this was because the roots were out of balance with the tops in the pots and maybe that problem persists since they are in pretty heavy soil and may not have caught up with their root development. But since we’re headed into a string of days in the 90s I thought I should check with others here. I’m not in a rush to cut back the nice growth I’m seeing, but if it was best for the plant, I could give them a good chop I guess.

Thoughts?

Looks to me like it’s just the tender growth wilting in high heat. I wouldn’t be too worried, just keep it well watered. But I may be wrong.

if they bounce back at night and are normal in the morning, just the heat.

I would say all that, and some degree of transplant shock. Just continue to water, spray the foliage with water during the hot days, and you should see your poms spring back. They are awfully tough plants.

I’m not sure if spraying the foliage when the sun is strong is a good idea. Long ago I was told never to spray tender leaves during strong sun and high heat because the water droplets could create a magnifying effect and scorch the leaves. I do not know if this is true. It never stopped me from watering the ground of thirsty plants.

It should be possible to cool the air surrounding the plant by watering surrounding wood and concrete nearby. Misters directed at the air above plants can provide some relief for heat, as can providing some shade.

Muddy, old wive’s tale disputed much in literature :slight_smile: It actually helps the plant re-hydrate. No problem at all, no worries, and I do it all the time here. Now granted, I don’t get blazing hot like other areas, but we do get our 100 degree days at times.

I think its water related but stinkbugs can do that to new growth.

Thanks all.

I’m going to keep an eye on them and see how they do. I don’t think the ground is really dry around them, but I’ll water whenever they look too wilty. I just don’t want to overdo it with my clay soil and rot the roots.

I’ll keep an eye out for stinkbugs as well, since it seems like it isn’t really all the tips that do it, so maybe that is something I haven’t noticed.

I work near the house so I may run home at lunch and see how things look in the noon heat. So far it does look like my potted poms are showing less of this, but they are in looser soil in their containers so may have rooted out better.

By the way, I see a bud on the Salavatski even though it is its first year in the ground. I’m sure it will drop without setting fruit, but I can always dream…