Wind broke newly grafted pear tree. Now what?

I grafted improved Kieffer onto a callery pear rootstock but must not have secured it well enough because some strong winds knocked it off.
The scion was whip-and-tongue grafted in late February and has grown well and gradually with 3 new branches all 2+ feet long. A few of the most distal leaves from the graft are wilting but otherwise looks normal and I just stuck it in some water.

My question is should I try to reconnect them as is, redo the whip-and-tongue graft +/- trim back the new branches, or try re-grafting with softwood using something like a chip bud graft?

Hi Ethan
A pic would describe your situation better than words. Post a pic and members can see your options. If the scion is only partly broken away and has a good bit of cambium connecting the rootstock, bring it back to original position, rewrap the graft union tightly with some plastic strips and post a new pic now and after you reconnect. Place in a shady place that is safe from falling objects or birds and splint the reconnection to hold it firmly in the correct alignment.
If it completely broke off, need pic to see if there are any buds in the leaf axils of new growth, keep in cold water bath until members can help you diagnose
Kent wa
Kent wa


Hey Dennis,

This is my scion this morning. It is completely detached from the rootstock.

It seems to me that your problem now is that the top has to stay alive after regrafting but it has no way to get water and nutrients from the root stock until it heals. I wonder if it would increase your chances if you were to cut everything back to about four inches. I’m interested in hearing what others have to say.

I think your only option is to regraft a single latent bud from the old part of the scion and hope it heals quickly enough before it starts pushing a shoot. The lower buds on the green growth could also be used for chip buds.


Last year in the first week of June someone (my partner) mowed my pear grafted in March about 3 cm below the graft union (stick, chicken wire cage and all - but that’s all water under the bridge). The graft had much shorter new growth since last spring was much colder. I removed the graft, cut off all new growth (there is always a dormant bud at every shoulder), cut the union and regrafted it onto a potted quince. It had new growth within 4 weeks and the union callused nicely. It just did not put up as much new growth as another one of the same variety I had grafted in March (that survived the mindless-mowing incident).