Wish I had some pollen right about now

According to book from Thomas LeRoy, Bruce Plum has good disease tolerance but fruit is barely edible. Seems I also read somewhere that if produces alot of pollen but it is not viable. I see it all the time at Lowes in the area and kind of wonder why.
I had same problem with Mariposa. It bloomed between my early blooming varieties and the later blooming varieties. I thought the Methley would pollinate it but it is blooming the other varieties. I had a good 2 weeks with nothing but Mariposa blooming. I went to Lowes and Home Depot to get one another variety that was blooming. Lots of other trees but only 2 plums, both Mariposa.

Seems in my research online, that 2 different plums come up when searching for Bruce Plum. One is Red skin with yellow/orange flesh and the other has yellow skin and yellow/orange flesh. Both are called Bruce Plum. Are these two different cultivars?

The only I picked up from Lowes shows the red skin on the tag. I would be bummed if all my hand pollination efforts were for not.

Looks like the Bruce plum did the trick as I now have tiny little fruits growing on my flavor supreme! Not all the flowers pollinated, but looks look I should have enough!

4 Likes

Krauter Vesuvious Myrobalan plum pollinates Mariposa plum, including Satsuma plum.

the bruce plum is low quality, fruit is not very good.
bruce is resistant to diseases and is often used as rootstocks

1 Like