Would you sell a first year graft?

8 of my 14 apple grafts took! Heck 3 of them was probably incompatibility; none of the prairie magic took on baccata. Two were a bonafide sloppy job. Im only keeping 3 of these.

Would you feel confident selling a first year apple graft or are they too tender?

2 Likes

I have sold them or given them away, but I like to be upfront about what folks are getting and any special care needed. I also think it’s fair to charge less, as it hasn’t proven to survive a dormancy yet. My take is that it should sell for more than a bench graft but less than a 1-year tree. This also makes sense since you’re not using your time or space to store them over the winter, and you’re shifting some of the risk to the customer [which I think is fine so long as you’re upfront about it].

4 Likes

I give mine away to friends. It is not worth the time selling trees in small groups.

It depends. I have pretty good luck selling over Facebook Marketplace. Often, I’ll post figs for sale in batches of 2-4, and one person will buy the lot of them within a couple days. I do tend to price them competitively. I’m not really looking to make a living off of it, just offset the cost of my gardening hobby. And it gives me a justifiable excuse to keep propagating every year!

5 Likes

That’s more a factor of how you are going about selling them. Coordinating a meet place is an invitation to teeth grinding aggravation; I have little patience with people wasting my time. I save my plant sales for the weekend when I know I’ll be spending the day at home working around the house anyways. Im busy so I don’t even notice no-shows and people with no concept of timeliness.

4 Likes

I grafted 4, hoping 2 would make it…

All 4 made it… and I gave 2 to a friend last week. They were near 3 ft tall now.

I grafted one Mulberry this year and it did well too, near 50" tall now, what growth.

4 apples, 1 mulberry (100%) takes, first year grafting… feels pretty good.

I will probably be trying pears next and hear they are easy… hope to keep the lucky streak going.

TNHunter

5 Likes

You can feel confident selling a tree you grafted the same year if you (have) a lot of roots/good/great - roots.

3 Likes

@don1357

Sure I would feel comfortable in some cases doing that.

That is what people don’t realize about Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. Some things I tell people are not worth selling on those websites because of the time, risk and energy you have to put out to get a few dollars at times. My family wants me to sell or give away some 14 inch pots I got for like 15 dollars from Home Depot. Here is the thing though. It is not worth the effort to get rid of them other than trash

2 Likes

Again, it really depends. I have great luck most of the time. I’ve only had a handful of no-shows, and I only really schedule things for when I’ll be around anyway. I’m comfortable with people coming to my house (there are much more efficient ways of casing a joint than coming to pick up an unwanted cutting or a bundle of free pots) and I often get paid ahead of time via Venmo, Paypal, etc. Usually with the pay ahead (or if it’s something free), I’ll just leave them out on the front steps for contactless pickup.

I’ve also done enough of it now that I have a decent sense of what will move and what won’t, at least in my area. Desirable things like figs or tools, or stuff people know like apples, tend to sell pretty quickly if priced right. If you have a bunch of plants you want to sell of varying interest, it can make a lot of sense to pick a date and advertise a plant sale instead. You can either give the address or ask people to PM you. Free stuff is actually a little more dicey. You’re more likely to get a response, but there’s a much higher no-show rate. There’s no loss to them if they don’t pick it up. If you’re charging for something, people are much more likely to show, even if they haven’t actually put any money down!

Getting back to pricing, remember that most people are looking to these marketplaces to find a deal, so don’t try to price high. Do your research and see what similar items are selling for. If you just have a few things to sell, price it on the low end and it will move quickly and painlessly. If you have something that you know is worth money and that you can sit on, you might have to renew the post a time or two, but a buyer will usually show that will pay what you’re asking or close to it.

1 Like

You just need the right approach. For plants I sell on the weekends in days I’m just going to be at home working around the house. Show, don’t show, show up late, I don’t care nor notice. It is not uncommon for people to drop off $40~$60 over the course of the day $10 at a time. Most of the time it is more depending on what I have oopn hand.

For other stuff I live not far from a main road, I meet at a business in that corner. Same thing; I’m working around the house that day, text me when you are 5 minutes out.

But the best power trick of all; you want to know how to get rid of 99% of scammers and people you do not want to deal with? Add this to every ad:

‘Messages in the form of “is this item still available?” Will be cheerfully ignored’.

It is amazing how this simple reading comprehension test gets rid of the worst offenders on marketplace.

But you are definitely right; chasing morons for $10 bucks is not worth the aggravation.

2 Likes