Wowza! Dwarf Cherry, any info?

Honestly I dont expect wowza to be anything exceptional, but I wouldnt be disappointed if it was. I will definitely give it a try tho, just to see. :slight_smile: I dont think the cherries look much larger than juliet

2 Likes

grafted some wowza to cj seedlings today.

10 Likes

love to see how these goā€¦

Scott

2 Likes

my wowza to carmine jewel seedling grafts pushing buds after 3 weeks in hot pipeā€¦

Bob bors was live on podcast Friday for Montana fruit Growers and i asked him about wowza, he said cherries are large but it doesnā€™t yield muchā€¦maybe grafting could help?

10 Likes

Looking good Derek. You might be onto something here. Wowza might not produce a lot of fruit because it grows fast and spreads out longer branches. Mine grew over two foot last year for itā€™s first year. If grafting makes it grow like a CJ you just might get more fruit spurs on a smaller bush. I have seeds still in the fridge. Iā€™ll pull them out and see if they will sprout. I too have been wanting to graft onto seedlings. I think itā€™s a good way to propagate for the back yard hobby. Keep us updated. I am very interested in this.

2 Likes

I am curious, can you bud graft cherries with decent success?

1 Like

My bud grafts didnā€™t take but Iā€™m still learning bud grafting.

3 Likes

I have read that JULIET is the sweetest one and can be eaten fresh. The others are more tart.

2 Likes

my juliet is about 5ft. and growing well. just mulched all of them with chicken coop compost. canā€™t wait to try them.

3 Likes

One wowza on CJ rootstock is taking off, the rest are still in limboā€¦ It has been kinda cold here recently so that could be slowing them down.

7 Likes

at least it will give time for the roots to get well established and then they will take off when the warm weather hits!

1 Like

That looks promising. I stuck my CJ seeds in with my tomatoes which I just planted in a seed starter plastic dome. Nothing yet on them but the tomatoes are ready to come out.

1 Like

@TheDerek How are your grafts coming along?

Only the one is actively growing, some that had swollen buds appear to have died, others arent doing much, its been quite cold, with this warm weather in the next week hope to see some progressā€¦

2 Likes

My wowza that I planted last year is looking good, fingers crossed no hail this year. It has sent up 5 new plants about a foot from the main trunk, you can see 3 in this pic.

5 Likes

Mines just starting to leaf out. My other bushes are just starting to bloom.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my Wowza after some growth itā€™s 56" tall!

9 Likes

might get some fruit next year, looking good!

1 Like

Maybe a couple to see and maybe taste if they donā€™t disappear. Iā€™ve only had a few from my other bushes to taste so Iā€™m not to excited yet. I should get a real taste of Juliet and CJ this year. Did your grafts make it?
I tried grafting *Montmorency cherry to CP and they didnā€™t take.

all the grafts failed, i donā€™t think it was because of bad grafts as much as planting them in soil that was too hot or something, rootstock isnā€™t growing eitherā€¦

2 Likes