Wowza! Dwarf Cherry, any info?

Git rid of it. USPS works well for me :wink:

2 Likes

Suckers are best removed when they are dormant if you are hoping to get a new ā€œfreeā€ plant from it. I cut out and potted up my Juliet suckers about 6 weeks ago. Iā€™ve never noticed it stealing energy from the main bush, but my bushes are mature, so maybe if yours is still smaller it might be worth cutting it out even if it will be hard to keep the sucker alive at this point.

Sorry Iā€™m not sure I would be able to ship anything but thanks for the suggestions with my tree.

1 Like

Zendog, right now do you think itā€™s kinda late to do any work on the sucker?

Btw I am talking about Wowza

You could possibly cut the supporting root to the sucker with a spade shovel and leave it in place to grow on itā€™s own for the year if youā€™d like to keep it. If you donā€™t want it or are worried about it in any way then simply cut it off at ground level. Thereā€™s a good chance youā€™ll see more of them in the future.

Thank you, I appreciate it, if I cut now would it be a place where diseases could enter.

I think it might be too late if it is already budded out. I found the suckers on my Carmine Jewel and Juliet to just be a sprout off a root running horizontally, so there is very little if any smaller roots. When I dig them when theyā€™re dormant, if I get enough root with them they generally survive. When I tried digging one mid-Spring it wilted and never came back. Maybe if you protect it under plastic or other way to keep the humidity up, it might make it, but if you want to keep it Iā€™d wait until next year. If you are worried about it getting too big, just cut it down to an inch high or so and it will resprout but be smaller than if it just keeps growing this year.

Alright, Iā€™ll see how the tree responds with the suckers. Since itā€™s spring wouldnā€™t it be better if I wait till like summer so the disease doesnā€™t enter or this is unrelated?

If root is taken out next year will it hurt the tree in any way, I mean like in case of growth decline or extra stress put on tree, or disease.

My Julietā€™s in particular seem to put out a half dozen or so suckers a year and it has grown well and produces a lot of fruit. Harvesting the suckers as new plants doesnā€™t seem to have them skip a beat.

Alright thank you now ah about the diseases :slight_smile:

The only romance cherry Iā€™ve lost was one of my first Julietā€™s, but it was before it had sent any suckers and was probably drowned by the flow from my neighborā€™s downspout that was about 6 feet away and directed directly at it. The main disease issue I see with these is cherry leaf spot, which shouldnā€™t be related to roots, but so far mine have done okay without spraying for it. All I ever spray on them is surround to protect the fruit from plum curculio.

That said, you are leaving the plant with a cut root below the soil to heal, which is obviously a possible entry point for disease. I just havenā€™t seen that yet.

1 Like

Is there a specific time or way to limit the chance for disease.

Iā€™m not really an expert on that, but maybe someone else has more information on minimizing risk. I can just say that when Iā€™ve cut out the suckers while dormant I havenā€™t seen any issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I watched your video on the suckers, they were very helpful.

1 Like

Wowza is on its own root right?

I have been tempted by wowza flyers from Gurneysā€¦ look so good.

But they say zone 2-7 and I am in 7a.

I always have my doubts about things that make my zone on the edge like that.

I really like fruit that grows on a bush like thatā€¦ like blueberries, goumi berriesā€¦ much lower maint than raspberries or blackberries.

Anyone in zone 7 having good luck with any of these bush cherry varieties?

Thanks
TNHunter

1 Like

Yeah I am in 7a by NYC, I have the tree for the second year or first full year

It arrives kinda small but I hope if you give it time it grows fast, someone already got to taste the cherries in this thread.