Wowza! Dwarf Cherry, any info?

It might produce less fruit because it is a more compact bush. That would work for me.

Wowza its lost most leaves and the others are tattered. It sure could look better but here it is cooling down a minute in the sink after geting a drink before going to its new home! Dry as a bone when it arrived so thankfully it was potted! What is it with rough looking plants this year? Sure am hoping i dont regret this purchase lol!

Welcome to the club. lol
I’m sure it will purk right up.

I asked Gurney’s customer service about the origin of Wowza, and got what seems to be an authoritative answer. As others have surmised, they say that it’s a previously unreleased USask variety (and not a rename of a variety already released in Canada).

Your Question:

Answer:

Cool, I was right! Thanks for asking. Others have asked without a clear answer. Now follow up with do you have more?

Ive read the elongated pit is why it was rejected before. It can never be mechanically processed like carmine jewell , romeo, or juliet. Home orchadist dont care.

I think Cupid can have those pits too.

How are your Wowza’s growing? Mine seems to be doing fine. I’m probably at the threshold of too much fertilizer. I have a pricker growing in there that I am scheming ways to pull it out other than undoing the fence. I should have lifted my great nephew in there to pull it when they were here. Maybe a mechanics nut retriever with the four spring-loaded grabbers at the end?

I got it with the mechanic’s retriever!

Good job! If my planting areas looked as clean as that I’d be doing cartwheels. I planted several trees in 5’ x 5’ raised beds last year and mulched heavily. I’ve already weeded them a few times this year and they still look like a jungle right now. In fact, I can no longer see any mulch even though I know it is there.

any wowza hardwood available for grafting thus year? hint… ;:wink:

patience… patience. :wink:

Ha! You know I accidentally went over it with the lawn mower. It came back, but I cut the first years growth off. Now I have a 6 inch plant. I put a tomato cage over it so my dogs would not stomp it to death. Else I would have had wood! Next year…
Oh the plant was gifted to me by a member here. This place rocks!

A couple of my CJ seedlings were run over buy some guy I hired to brushhog last summer also, as long as the roots are established they come back fine, sets them back a bit for sure tho…

Supposedly Wowza is a variety that UoS sent to gurneys to trial quite a while ago, U of S doesnt have it planted anymore I guess, so there is no real/scientific info about it. Id like to know average fruit weights, brix etc… I guess well have to figure that out ourselves.

All the wood I have is soft wood lol. It’s only about 1/8" in dia. I could send you a stick of it if you want to try that.

This is what my Wowza looks like

So does anyone yet know how the flavor of wowza compares to the other Romance cherries?

It was only released last year from Gurney’s so only people from there would know. Here’s a picture from the book they just sent me.

I have one but mowed it down at the end of the year…not on purpose! Man was I pissed at myself. It’s alive although I lost the first year, so like starting over this year. The roots have a years growth anyway! I have a tomato cage upside down over it so the dogs don’t stomp into into the ground. A full 6 inches! :slight_smile: My puppy pruned the branch on the right already (sigh). Removed all labels off of everything too!

I’m glad to see that it grew back. It might be better in the long run with more stems. I have mowed over Paw Paw seedlings by accident and they grew back also.