Yellow plum Id request

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Flavor: Nice syrupy flavor…like honey but not too sweet. Juicy.
Origin: likely from the okanagan in canada.
Color: Need to wait til cor is deep yellow and soft for full ripeness.
Weight: 45g
Diameter: approx 1.75-1.9"
Brix: forgot to measure but If i were to estimate the brix, I’d say 17 or above.

4 Likes

Hey!

There’s a burnt out property (destroyed in the 2001 fires) that was never rebuilt up near my parents’ place, and there are a few fruit trees remaining. Though sad, when I visited in the summer we found a few mystery yellow plums on a tree and it sounds like it’s a match to what you’re describing! Best plums I ever tasted. These trees have survived for 20 years in an extremely arid area.

This is in the Okanagan, so I wouldn’t have suggested it otherwise.

I’m up for a visit right now, and was planning on snatching a few hardwood cuttings to try and root in the spring. I’m on this site to look up rooting suggestions — what a coincidence to see this post…

2 Likes

Hi,
Just curious, are you in US or Canada?
You can most probably root your cutting now. Most native plums root easily with a bit of rooting hormone applied. If you do not have powdered hormone, just use some willow tips to make a home brew hormone and use it.

My neighbor has an unnamed yellow plum tree that has fruit similar in appearance to what Tubig posted.
The golden nectar plum looks a lot like the fruit of my neighbor’s tree which is very prolific. When it first ripens it has a tart flavor but as it ripens fully it’s very sweet and full of juice. It blossoms right after my cherry plum about the same time as Ozark Premiere and Shiro plums.
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

The plum in the above photo looks a lot like Shiro to me, maybe that is it Dennis? Or was it different than your Shiro?

2 Likes

Thanks @DennisD . I’m in Canada. I have some rooting hormone which I’ll try with these cuttings. I visited the tree yesterday, and there is quite a bit of fresh growth on the top now that some of the original trunk has fallen off.

Will return to post about it if successful.

Hi Scott,
I have several Shiro grafts but they have not yet fruited, so I cannot compare them to our older unnamed yellow plum tree which I was referring to. Maybe this year my grafts at 3 years old will fruit, then I will be able to compare the fruit.
Dennis

@scottfsmith btw can shiro look like a bush on the ground? Our old neighbor used to have a yellow plum which looked like a bush on the ground because it was no more than 5-6 ft tall as far as I remember. It was so prolific, our neighbors just cut it down completely to avoid the flies even after giving away bags and bags of fruit to the neighbors. To this day, it remains one of, if not the most perfectly sweetest juiciest plum i’ve tasted.

I doubt it would stay that small but it does have a tendency to spread out so who knows perhaps it could have been. My Shiro spread more and more out over the years that I had to take out about half the graft a few weeks ago since it was getting too low to walk under on the path it was by.

1 Like