You never know what's beneath you!

Uploading… While digging my last hole for my trees that I’m waiting on from raintree , I dug up several Old Budweiser cans , Miller lite “little pony” bottles, a 1" water pipe elbow, and a lot of broken glass.
All of this came out of that single hole. A drunk plumber must have owned this property before me. Lol
Makes me wonder what else is just below my feet.

1 Like

My thought was, “at least there aren’t any questionable bones in there”. :ghost:

2 Likes

I found a tin of ground up bones in my yard. I put it back and opted to plant elsewhere.

I guess it was from a pet. I hope.

1 Like

I’m not even going to tell you guys some of the things that we’ve intentionally incorporated into various family gardens and tree plantings. You’re probably better off not knowing.

2 Likes

so that’s where you hide the bodies!! :joy:

1 Like

In Kansas construction guys dig a hole per job site that they fill with beer cans etc. The owner frowns on that stuff if he sees them in the trash. Usually they bonfire in the same place and cook some bratwurst.

2 Likes

Like I said - I’m not telling. :wink:

You realize what this means don’t you? You sometimes find bottles like that at the former location of an old outhouse. The last thing people would do prior to moving their outhouse was to throw unwanted debris into the pit prior to covering.

How long have you had the property and is it very rural. Those bud cans look like they are from the 70’s

Ha! Ha! The dirt DOES look darker in that last hole. It would be well composted after 40 some years.

@speedster1
I’ve owned the property for 20 years, I can remember a long time before that there was an old cypress shotgun house here and maybe 40 feet way from this spot.
It is a very rural area, and ,yes, your right about the old folks throwing their trash in the outhouse holes. This is not the first time I’ve dug up stuff like this, usually a lot older glass bottles. The Budweiser cans do seem to be from the 70’s era, they were the old “pull off” type tabs.
Plus back in the day, people would bury whatever trash they had that wouldn’t burn.

1 Like

Hahaha. All of the soil is very dark here , the lighter soil you see is from a load of soil I bought to build the mounds. I had to bring in some more soil because I had 50 mounds to build…

1 Like

told my folks to just dump me along with kitchen refuse, into the compost pit in our yard in my birthday suit-- when i go kaput, to have some use for the few lbs of nitrogen, phosphate, and potash i have self-servingly accumulated.

if only county ordinance/city code didn’t get in the way…

1 Like

Those cans are old. I can picture them sitting around the fire with there long hair, pork chop side burns and patchouli oil.

I would be interested to hear how you are preparing the holes. Why add sand and mound up?

@39thparallel,
it’s not sand, it’s just a load of soil that came from a area close to the Mississippi River , it is light & sandy compared to the heavy dark soil on my property.
I built the mounds to raise the trees a bit because of the large amount of rain we get down here in south Louisiana. My property doesn’t hold water, it drains off pretty good but sometimes it rains for a week straight and I’m trying to prevent water logging of the roots.
Plus keep in mind that I’m completely new to all of this, last year at this time I had no fruit trees ,no blueberry bushes & no thoughts of ever having any, know I have 51 trees & 18 blueberry bushes.
So I’m trying to figure it all out as I go.:thinking:

2 Likes

I use to go metal detecting years ago… its amazing the amount of garbage in the ground… the best one for me was old shell casings in a city park (brass 30/06 casings)…maybe back int he day grandpa went over to the park to sight in his hunting rifle…who knows. wear gloves when you are digging…

3 Likes

The back of my yard was were garbage was dumped back in the days when the block was mostly summer cottages. I’ve dug up a few interesting bottles but its mostly broken, rotted and rusted junk.
Someone really liked clams as there are many clam shells and I’m 10 miles from the beach.

1 Like

A couple of miles from where I grew up in the 60’s was an abandoned military dump. There were several hundred empty 250lb bomb casings laying around. A lot of the neighbors had a few in their yards for decoration, planters and what not.

Jump forward to 85 or so. My brother has a house a couple of miles away and his neighbor has one as a newspaper box and a couple laying in the yard. The road in front of his house is being worked on and he sees an opportunity to get rid of them, so at night he lays them in the trench and shovels gravel over them. Nobody’s the wiser.

Flash forward to 2013 and a contractor is working on the road. The backhoe digs up one of the casings and work comes to a sudden halt. The bomb squad shows up really fast! After determining they were empty they notice the newspaper box and give the guy the 3rd degree.

“Officer, I swear the newspaper box was there when I bought the house! Honest!”

After the cops left, he confessed the whole story to my brother. :wink:

3 Likes

there’s a farm in belgium where tens of thousands of lbs of ‘live’ bombs are still buried strategically underground, resting quietly and undisturbed since ww1.

a haunting, historical site

not a place to be doing archaeology or digging up for skyscraper foundations…

1 Like

Maybe if you keep digging there will be some treasures!

Behind my 50 year old house was a dirt pile about 3 feet high, by 4 feet wide, 8 feet long. It borders on an undeveloped property. I removed the additional soil for raised beds, mixing with compost. It’s now consistent with the rest of the slope, which I have sort of terraced. There was a lingering fear I might discover old skulls or other bones, but I’ve watched too much CSI.

A couple hours south of here, mammoth bones were found on the campus of Oregon State University. No such luck for me.

Other than some old fencing, paving blocks, and bricks, there was nothing there. I’ve since buried some dead chickens, but mostly this is a row of fig trees and narrow beds for corn, squash, and garlic.

My guess is this is where the dirt was piled when the septic tank was dug. There were also piles around the septic tank itself. People here were not in a hurry to clean it up.

2 Likes

My diggings on this city lot over the years have revealed a small collection of marbles, a plastic dinosaur, and a complete toilet.

2 Likes