Your Oldest Fruit Tree

My oldest are a Tyson pear and a Jonalicious apple both planted in 1978. So 45 years old. The pear is healthy but the apple has major rot into the trunk from a storm that split off a major scaffold years ago.

5 Likes

Red Mulberry at my grandmas old house. They moved in post WW2 in the 1950s and said it was a nice sized tree then. They are only supposed to live 75 yrs or so but this one lives in pure spoils and bricks and blocks and chemicals. It has seen probably the most pollution of any tree that i can think of… Nitro WV aka Chemical Valley as well as a full lifetime of a coal fired plant fallout that is 10 miles away. Plenty of acid rain. Most of the roots are under a driveway that my uncles did lots of oil changes and antifreeze and auto repair work… no doubt all was poured into the ground in the 60s and 70s. Also it sits right beside a city street and has been drenched in salt every winter as well. Lots of roundup used on the chain link fence that it rests on.

I cant imagine a tougher tree could exist…

1 Like

maybe it was exposed to some gamma rays?

4 Likes

Lots of chemical spills, chemical fires… chemical leaks.

Lots of unreported things in the 60s and 70s.

The towns name comes from making Nitroglycerin.

The whole area and towns surrounding looks like aliens are terraforming the Earth.

aliens

My family has owned my current home since I was very young (±60 years). The property was originally settled in 1920 and I can only assume most of the fruit trees on the farmstead were planted at that time.

Most of the fruit trees on the property were old when my family purchased the property in the 1960’s. Assuming the fruit trees were planted when the house was built (1920) would make the remaining trees from when the farm was first settled around 100 years old.

There is one large Bartlett pear tree, and several plum trees still left standing from the original farm. The plum trees are in steep decline and aren’t very productive anymore, but the pear tree had a huge crop this year.

There is something to be said for non-dwarfing rootstocks as the fruit just keeps getting better after many decades of life.

2 Likes