Yumm Yumm Nectarine issue

I planted a Yumm Yumm Nectarine on standard size rootstock in 2012, and it fruited for the first time this year - I was caught by surprise, so I didn’t do a lot of prep on it besides the occasional neem oil. According to Scott’s direction, I surrounded my little orchard with the No-Mate spirals in May to deter Oriental Fruit Moth, which I suspected was really messing with my peaches.

To my delight, those spirals really worked on the peaches - only a few of the tell-tale clear viscous bubbles on them, and my five peach trees (Early White Giant, Elberta Queen, Delicious, etc.) are having a banner year. And by the looks of it, so is the Y.Y. Nectarine, but there is now a preponderance of the same oozing little clear sores on a lot of those fruits… not to mention it seems about 3 weeks behind schedule, as YYN is supposed to harvest in late June, and these are still rock hard.

Is it the same OFM? Or is it a different bug? And can things like that contribute to a very-delayed harvest? Pics below:

1 Like

Yum yum does not always ripen in June here. I got mine from gurneys. Insect damage actually speeds up fruit ripening so it’s likely your running behind due to weather or heavier foliage, shaded location etc…

1 Like

I[m almost positive that is caused by (too much?) moisture. I’ve been seeing the same thing on a few fruits of various nectarines (i have about 5 or 6 varieties fruiting this year)…i was out the other morning and noticed that clear sticky sap coming out of a spot on the fruit right where the russeting occurs… I don’t think its insect related…

Arctic Glo is horrible, Arctic Star is ok and Arctic Rose look great. Raspberry Red looks amazing (perfect fruits) and Summer Silk is almost almost perfect. All potting material is the same, growing conditions the same…

1 Like

Need to see close up pic of fruit. There are holes where they oozing?

1 Like

Cut a couple of fruits and see if there is a trace of bugs inside.

1 Like

Yes, the weather here in the Hudson Valley has been wet, humid and awful (par for the course it seems) with the occasional 2-day break. The dew point has been hitting the low to mid 70s, which is particularly unbearable for me. Yet there hasn’t been the same fungal issues as last year, when there was no fruit on pretty much any tree.

I did gut one of the fruits, and it did seem like there was a tiny black incision where the ooze was coming out, but now that warmwx has mentioned all the moisture, I wish I’d taken a picture - I’ll be back in the orchard tomorrow, and will do so. It does seem to appear on the russeting…

1 Like

So I went back and grabbed some of the more unfortunate nectarines (pic 1), and did a cross-section on one of them that looks suspiciously bug-like (pic 2), then a cross-section slice on another (pic 2, with drawn-in perspective what I was holding) where it seems to be absolutely nothing. Even more curious, there seems to be an ooze on the very bottom pointy end of a lot of these nectarines leading me to think at least some of the problem is the excess moisture. But maybe these pics clarify what I might be dealing with?

1 Like

Mine do the same…arctic glow is horrible…others are better…I get sap coming out of branches too.

2 Likes