2018 Grafting Thread

Remember, you have to put crab grafts in sideways for them to grow the right direction …

(Please! Nobody take this seriously!!)

:-)M

5 Likes

This is part of my ongoing experiment to graft colder climate varieties to my well established warmer climate trees. Last year I grafted several sticks of Roxbury Russet. All but this little one failed, which was the last of all my grafts to start leafing out, and is on my Dorsett Golden… This stick is so thin there is no way it could support the weight of fruit, and I don’t have anything else that blooms this late so I guess it really wouldn’t matter. Can someone growing Roxbury in it’s typical zone tell me when they begin to leaf…

2 Likes

Just a grafting tip, don’t use Harbor Freight electrical tape. That is what I had around this year so I gave it a try. It is thicker and not as stretchy as the main brand tapes. Fine for wires but not what you want for grafting.

It worked very well for me although I remove it after grafts are growing vigorously.

1 Like

Bark grafting works with pomegranates too! I grafted my pomegranates very late. My bark grafted/T-bud combo with citruses are growing crazy right now. Yes, I never trim off the blossoms of my new grafts and sometimes they form into nice quality fruits in the same season. I haven’t encountered any grafts that have slowed down because they bore fruits for me. I let the new grafts decide if it wants to drop the fruits or carry on. The parafilm and rubber bands just dropped off on their own, at the proper time when the grafts have grown and the union healed very well.

5 Likes

VERY relieved that my Gold Rush scions I used to attempt to work over a Golden Delicious have all taken! I was very, very anxious as I cut off the main limbs of the tree I’d painstakingly pruned from a wisp of a seedling. Not sure what I would have done had it not worked. 14/14 takes!

10 Likes

I suspect it will work, or at least I hope it will as I used it on several trees. It seemed to me that it was thicker and stiffer than 3M and the other brands so I could not stretch it as much and get as tight a union. Guess I will find out how it works.

For good reason! Glad to hear it’s working. On a peach tree I cut down one scaffold to redo, and the grafts failed, and the scaffold died. I now have a small branch grafted right above where it’s at. Hoping it will survive and grow into a new scaffold. It’s so small though, I had to strip fruit off the new cultivar the branch is way too small for fruit this year. The new branch comes from one of the two remaining scaffolds, has room to develop into a full scaffold.

Starting to see takes on my grafting done 2 weeks ago . Trying to finish my last grafting of the season .

2 Likes

Awesome!

Had a fast wake up and bloom season, this tree wasn’t even in bloom 3 days ago! In laws wanted this grafted over to edible varieties as it was a really bad tasting green apple that was very funny shaped. Bark was slipping fantastically so here is hoping. Put on their favorites Empire, Gala, Paula Red, & Sweet Sixteen…

6 Likes

Thanks to @Quill for scionwood!
I cut each piece into two and grafted them both. So far both Goldrush trees and a Sweet 16 have started budding out.

GOLDRUSH

SWEET 16

9 Likes

You’re very welcome, my friend. Enjoy!

2 Likes

This is White Gold cherry grafted on Carmine Jewel a month ago. IMG_20180524_094946732 I also grafted Starkrisom on CJ couple years ago. The grafted branch has fruits this year but is a bit smaller compare to its mother plant

5 Likes

@ampersand

It is now apparent that my Saijo graft has taken onto Coffeecake. It’s so nice when something successfully takes!

12 Likes

Lasgerdi white apricot has definitely taken, and is busting out!

8 Likes

One thing I love about Rosseyanka persimmon is the perfect crotch angles and vigor. I grafted this tree last year on an American understock. It produced the three side branches in perfect form with an equally perfect central leader. This made an excellent candidate for a multigraft persimmon tree. The pure Asian persimmons don’t seem to produce wide enough crotch angles.

Hybrid interstem with perfect structure (in my opinion):

9 Likes

Transferred my grafts from a group crates to individual 1/2 gallon grow bags

2 Likes

Volunteer security guard performing his rounds on electrical tape graft.

Jiro persimmon grafted to a seedling from a grocery store bought Fuyu is growing vigorously.

3 Likes

Dragonflies are as old as dinosaurs. Aren’t they neat?!

2 Likes