Allen's Everlasting apple variety

Allen’s Everlasting is as the name says a long keeping variety and back before apples were available year round a highly desirable trait.

Medium sized fruit is greenish usually with some russeting

but occasionally none.

Distinctive taste that is sharp until fully ripe.

10 Likes

Had never heard of the apple before. On googling the apple I read that it was a dessert apple, mid season to late, with good keeping properties and with a powerful favor. Also, a apple that is not grown much. Wonder why?

Derek Had a nice limb graft of this variety growing that I had gotten from you. Then several weeks ago I noticed that a bird must have landed on it and had broken it off. :rage: Will be ordering another piece of scion from you this spring in hopes of better luck.

Not sure othan than most Americans are used to buying fruit with their eyes and the big producers know that. This variety with the odd russet marks would definitely not be a big display in a grocery store.

2 Likes

That looks quite a bit unlike what I have as Allen’s Everlasting, though there are some similarities. One is the lopsidedness. Mine are also mostly colored v.s. mostly green and almost always quite flattened like a donut. Maybe it’s just a matter of environment. Does the tree grow slowly with very short spaces between the nodes? Mine does, the short internodes and flat shape are two of the most defining characteristics.

Environment does play a big role. When you say mostly colored do you mean red? That would be unusual I think for this one. The tree does grow slow and is a shy bearer. And a flat shape is not something that sticks out to me like Court Pendu Plat which is flat and clings tight to the branch.

Yes, it’s pretty red. I’m thinking there may be a water color in The Apple Book, but I can’t find my copy. This is what mine look like. http://adamapples.blogspot.com/2015/10/allens-everlasting-apple-tasting-review.html I think I may very well have sent him that apple actually. This could very well be it too, but mine are more red. Search NFC The very short internodes are rare though. They are shorter by far than any other apple here.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCiEaoYkQCw

2 Likes