Anyone ever grow pyrethrum?

So for the past few years ive tried growing pyrethrum (Chrysanthemum coccineum)…every year the rabbits have ate it down to nothing (its cocaine to rabbits…they eat everything)…i finally put a fence around it this year so its come back strong and now has quite a few flowers that are just about ready to open… I started them from seed a few years back.

It seems to overwinter up here just fine.

Not sure what to do with the flowers…they are pretty (i had one flower once before…but then the rabbit ate the bloom!).

I grow it, never have any problems. The flower stems are long and kind of flop over, they’re not good cut flowers.

Will they bloom all summer? Do they continue to comeback? Not sure why i grow them.

No, they just bloom for a couple of weeks. They do come back, true perennials

After I cut back the flower stems they have nice ferny foliage the rest of the year. Not sure I’d decide to grow them again

Maybe you planned to try them as a natural insecticide?

1 Like

Doing a little reading…sounds like i need to dry them and then soak them in warm water… sounds like as an insecticide it doesn’t last long.

I think they grow them on massive scale in Kenya…

I’ve got one. It survives but hasn’t grown much in 3-4 years. I usually think it’s dead then it comes back. Not too exciting to me.

Are the flowers floral?

I just bought a bunch of oddball stuff years ago to grow. I grew palms, castor beans, various bananas, plumeria, etc… Most of it i just thought was too much work (winter)…these have come back each year. Lots of blooms.

In Kenya they grow in areas that have a “spring” type of climate…so they must like the cool spring weather we’ve been having.

They are daisies.

Common name: Painted Daisies

Wanted to show my pyrethrum flowers which I grew from seeds last year. They give a splash of color if only for a short time. Rabbits do not bother them, maybe they have many other things to eat. They are actually red variety, not a pink one.

4 Likes

Very nice…mine just opened yesterday. Do the blooms not last long?

They last about two weeks. Maybe more on the cool weather.