Apricot recc's for our area

PdN is the parent of Moorpark, and quite similar to it (also the parent of Blenheim and Royal). It’s unlikely to do well in cold climates.

One problem with Bay Laurel is many California cots don’t do well in the east. Blenheim, Moorpark, PdN, Royal, etc are all prone to cracking and rots. Its fine to get apricots from Bay Laurel but make sure you check on the variety first. Tomcot is one of the most reliable, its a good one to look for.

2 Likes

Earlier I was looking at the temp map for yesterday and noticed mid 70Fs into S Missouri. Not sure where you’re located. Crazy weather pattern. Its been more like Seattle up here with rain/clouds all the time.

I really enjoyed Puget Gold last summer…up until last summer it wasn’t really much, but for some reason it did excellent. This summer i’m sure it will be back to being a turd.

My cots also receive very little in the way of sprays. No fungicides and rarely a pesticide. I get some PC damage, but not a ton.

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments. I’ll be sure to avoid Moorpark, Blenheim, and the other Cali-oriented 'cots. I am leaning towards Tomcot, and Puget Gold, Orangered and Robada sounds interesting.

Does anyone have any experience or comments with the Harrow cots, like Harogem, Hargrand, Harcot, etc? I know they were bred as cold weather cots, but was wondering about their flavor. Cummins has a few of these left, plus Sugar Pearl. I’m about to order some apples from them and might add some of their cots as well.

Also, @warmwxrules you said you don’t spray yer cots a lot. Is this true with other cot growers on here? Is that because they ripen sooner than other stone fruit like peaches and nects, so they don’t have time to attract a lot of pests or fungus?

Thanks.

1 Like

Harcot has very good reviews for its flavor, Hargrand and Harogem are also supposed to be pretty good. Trust me, even if they are a notch below Moorpark and Blenheim, if you eat them fully ripe from your own tree, they will blow your socks off.

My apricots are grown spray free, but I’m in California, so this info is useless for you.

2 Likes

I live in Nashville and have a 20 year old Moorpark and have only lost the fruit once and that was a severe late spring freeze that took all my fruit, apples and plums included. Mine blossoms the beginning of March every year and gets hit by light to moderate frosts and comes through with a great crop. It’s on flat land with poor frost drainage as well. The fruit never cracks either. I wonder if all the bad reviews are from what people experienced growing it or what they read. I highly recommend Moorpark. They are great to eat, dry or make preserves.

3 Likes

Have they started blooming yet?

Thanks, @Graftman, that’s encouraging to hear about Moorpark. You’re not that far away from me. You’re actually pretty close to @thecityman, who’s said that he’s had luck with cots as well.

I think I’m looking at 2 or 3 varieties. Prob going with Tomcot, and like what I’ve read about Tilton. The place that I’m looking at has them on Myro rootstock, so think that’d be a good combo for our location.

@fruitnut, you’ve grown quite a few cots, correct? So, do you have any comments/suggestions? I know yer in west TX, so there is a big difference in climate, but wanted to hear your opinions.

@warmxrules
They haven’t yet and I’m surprised because we had such warm weather. I have a plum of unknown variety that started to open three weeks ago. Fortunately it stopped opening.

Maybe Moorpark got thrown in with Blenheim since those are the two classic California cots. Blenheim I have heard many sad reports on. You are the first person I have heard successfully growing Moorpark in a hot and humid area.

I would bet you have Wenatchee Moorpark, recommended for western Oregon and Washington. It is different from Moorpark and good for rainy, late frost areas. Probably a good recommendation along with tomcot, harcot and harglow.

Maybe that is the variety I have. I bought it from a local (McMinville) nursery. They may have shortened the name. How does its flavor compare to Moorpark?

I haven’t tried the Wenatchee, though its supposed to be good! My Moorpark was always large and ripened unevenly, leaving half green, half orange ripe fruit. The ripe part of the fruit was excellent, but think it needs a little cooler summer to ripen evenly. I needed a place for a chicken coop so we hacked it down. I will probably add it somewhere I can get a little afternoon shade like on my blenhiem tree. I have found that varieties that are grown in their respectable climates taste best regardless of their hype.

Wait a Minute! You live where? I had no idea that a Nashville area grower had joined the group. For years its only been me, then @RobThomas south of Nashville, so I’d like to offer a belated welcome to you. Please add yourself to the location map
(sorry for going off topic…carry on)

Well…the blowtorch looks to continue…this could be a crazy early bloom year if this doesn’t change.

1 Like

I personally didn’t try Wenatchee Moorpark, but according to David Karp (a well known California fruit writer), it’s inferior to the real thing:

“Moorparks at Southern California markets are often Wenatchee Moorpark, a different and inferior variety.”

All fruit books (Hogg, Hedryck, Wickson, etc.) emphasize tenderness and irregular bearing of Moorpark; Hogg has a full paragraph devoted to winter tenderness of Moorpark trees.

Uneven fruit ripening is also a well known issue of Moorpark, but its severity depends on the climate. Wickson wrote in the early 20th century:

“In some parts of the Santa Clara Valley the Moorpark seems to ripen uniformly. The same behavior is reported from the upper San Joaquin Valley, where it also seems to be a more regular bearer. The variety is almost wholly rejected in So. Calif.”

I notice on my Moorpark tree that the fruit that ripen early in the season tend to ripen unevenly, but ripening becomes more uniform as the harvest season progresses.

The more I think about it there is a good chance it’s not a Wenatchee Moorpark either. The pictures I find of the Wenatchee Moorpark show a rather large pit with respect to the rest of the fruit. My tree has very small pits. I’m not sure if it was the same nursery but my Read Haven peach turned out to be a nectarine, the Moonglow pear a Kefir, and a Stella Cherry (self pollinating) something else that never set fruit. With odds like that, the apricot is probably something else. None the less I’m very happy with it. As far as budding out they are in a pink bud stage. I’d send pictures but don’t know how to attach.

This morning I was reading a book called “Fruits recommended by the American Pomological Society” which gives recommendations for different fruits for different regions of the US. For my area (mid-stlantic), the only apricot they recommend strongly is Moorpark. So, its not so surprising it is doing well for you.

Here is an interesting picture from this book BTW which shows US fruit growing districts.

Here is the book:

5 Likes

Interesting lists of old (1904) varieties.

Cityman, thanks for the welcome. My apricot is dropping its petals now. That is about two weeks early.