Are all domesticated rasps thornless - i have volunteers with thorns

I couldn’t spend any time outside here from June through September without DEET. Even with the stuff, I get plenty of bites

2 Likes

Maines native bird! :wink:

2 Likes

Closeup of thorns in question, and overview of plant. No soft or pubescent thorns. Just solid stem and long wicked prickets.

I’m far from an expert, but those pics sure look raspberry(not blackberry) to me.

1 Like

Im starting to wonder they r an oddball, like himalayan blackberry
Our domestics of either didnt seem to match. Why i been wondering about it. Purely by chance saw a post about invasives and there was a pic looks a lot like mine

With any luck maybe they are domestics vs invasives and i can grow them out

1 Like

our wild red raspberries dont have thorns like that but my black raspberries do . and the reds have a reddish tinge to their fine prickles.

1 Like

Im gonna grow them out. Im stoked to find out how whatever-they-are taste

2 Likes

i would. kind of neat to see what they will be. i think they are black raspberry tho. too big prickles for reds. to small for blackberries.

1 Like

:blush::blush:
Im hoping they are, which will be a great yummy addition for my little homestead

2 Likes

All the black raspberries I’ve seen have a smooth, round stem with a blueish-white bloom. The underside of the leaf is also a bright blueish-white.

Blackberry stems are ridged with a typical green color (no bloom). The underside of the leaves are also green.

3 Likes

Dunno what i have. No ridging at all, perfectly round and smooth

my black rasps have the bluish bloom on the canes but not on the branches. look just like Regs pic. too young to tell yet. looks a lot like my young darrow blackberry too.

1 Like