Drippin’ Honey

Shinseiki

My Korean Giant crossed Mishirasu

Tennosui

Mishirasu

Bartlett

Tony

19 Likes

Do you know when Tensoui ripens in sequence? Is it late in comparison to other European pears?

Beautiful pears Tony!

1 Like

I took me 4 years of grafting and finally found the right Tennosui scion source. I bark grafted this tree 2 years ago and finally it fruited so I am not sure the sequence of ripening yet compare to other Euro pears. I will take notes and update the information later on in the Fall.

Tony

My Tennsoui came from Just Fruits and Exotics. I’m interested to know more about the right and wrong Tennsoui scion source. I know that they sometimes sell trees grafted with scion from a mother tree from which they have not seen fruit yet. Lets just say that’s a good way to spread identification errors even though I totally understand why they would have to do that sort of thing. God bless.

Marcus

Marcus,

4 years ago I received a Tennosui scion and grafted it. It fruited 2 years later and that pear turned out to be a Tennessee pear. Two years ago a friend sent me the Tennosui scion from the original tree. So I am sure I have the right Scion this time.

Tony

Look great, Tony. I should not be surprised by now but I still am that your fruit are more advanced than mine and I am a whole zone warmer!!!

I think, in addition to KG and 20th Century, I have Shinseiki, Drippn’s Honey, Hosui and Kosui this year. I just have to figure out which is which.

2 Likes

Lucky. I wish I had pears to eat.

Dax

1 Like

Nice pics

1 Like

Great display of AP’s, any chance of updating which picture is with which caption. As I am confused with a few names?

How far along are the fruit on your Tennessee Pear this year. That will say a lot about where the others are in the ripening process. Mine were ready to be picked last week, and I picked them Saturday.

I am just north of your pear trees. My pears should be ripe within a week of yours. I do not know when to pick pears. Do you have a record of the dates your pears are ready ? Which pear did you pick last Saturday ( July 14 }. Was it an Asian or one of the others? I have Savannah pear that the birds are starting to peck, should they be picked now and ripened in the fridge ?

As @clarkinks has stated a few times on other theeads on how to check if pears rioen. You can lift/ tilt the fruit. Stems of ripe pears would come off easily. If they don’t budge, they are not ready.

The way to know when to pick pears and tilt the pear 45 decrees of how it is growing. If it snaps off the tree without any pulling, it’s ready to go. With most varieties, they will start yellowing a bit just before they reach this stage. Soft varieties need to sit inside in a cool place for about a week before they really soften up. Some varieties need to sit a cure under refrigeration for a way before they will really ripen up a room temp.

Marcus

2 Likes

My best pears so far this year have been the LeConte pears with the Goldenboys being a close second. Usually it’s the other way around. Most of the pears on either tree are not quite ready yet, but a few are. Even eaten crunch off the tree they are unbelievably sweet and flavorful. That’s just especially so with the LeConte pears this year.

9 Likes

Leconte sounds like an exceptionally good pear for our area. Has it been as fireblight resistant as your other pear varieties?

1 Like

So far, so good.

2 Likes

Tony,
When do Drippin’ Honey and Shinseiki ripen for you? I checked my A pears this morning, DH and Shiseiki have sized up much faster than my KG or 20th Century.

The Shinseiki ripened at the end of August and the Drippin Honey ripened in the middle of September.

Thank you, Tony.

Your timing usually about two weeks ahead of mine. My Shinseiki may ripen about the same time as my 20th (which ripens around Sept 10). Dripping Honey may ripen end of Sept, about two weeks before KG ( mid Oct).

1 Like