Atlantic giant pumpkin seeds

I grew one a couple of years ago that only had infertile seeds in it. Must have not pollinated correctly. My main concern with this one is the crack that developed in the blossom end. It may have exposed the seed cavity to outside elements that would be harmful to the developing seeds.

3 Likes

Thank Derby42!!!

1 Like

One last photo?

2 Likes

Sure, I took these on the 29th, stem is staying dry and Charlie looks good.

12 Likes

I just found this thread, it’s facinating to read! WOW!

4 Likes

I am glad you found the thread, we had lots of fun growing it. My wife posted updates on Facebook and people I don’t even know ask me about it. I even made a local magazine lol. Really a lot of fun for the grandkids. The first thing we did when my grandson would visit is measure the pumpkin

6 Likes

I check Charlie every day or two and see how he is doing. Today I noticed a few small fissures on the top. I gently touched the top and felt only soft rot… darn. So I got my knife and went on a seed salvage. There was a lot of mold and water in the seed cavity . I suspect this is a result of the crack that developed in the stem end. There were not a lot of seeds , many were rotten but I did salvage some.

19 Likes

He looks like he got the last laugh! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9 Likes

I noticed that you mentioned getting the seeds throughtout the thread. Was this for eating or growing next year?

2 Likes

RIP Charlie!
It was gourd to get to know you.

8 Likes

For others to grow

7 Likes

compost him so he can nourish next years pumpkin!

3 Likes

Oh Charley what a pumpkin you are!

2 Likes

@Derby42 Jason I thought you might like this video. I got it off of weather.com . It looks like a fun festival to go to. @Bradybb I wonder if Brady has gone to it? Great Pumpkin Beer Festival on Vimeo

John,I have never heard of that event. It’s sort of like Seattle’s version of the Burning Man.They are a different kind of people in that city. Brady

Lol, looks a little eccentric but pumpkins and beer , that sounds pretty good to me. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

So Jason, are you going BIG again next year??

3 Likes

I had so much fun growing that pumpkin. My wife posted picture updates on social media all summer, people I didn’t even know would stop me and ask how big it was .
I probably will not grow another pumpkin next year, I really only have one spot where it will fit and I think you get to many pests if you grow every year for my low input approach, lol. My grandson wants to grow a patch of carrots and the old pumpkin hill may be just the spot.

2 Likes

Actually just found this thread myself. Great job.

1 Like

Thank you, it was very rewarding, we took tons of photos with the grandkids .

2 Likes