AU Cherry Plum

Rob,

Have you had any issues with Black Knot on the AU Ambur?

1 Like

Yes, it does get some black knot, but it hasn’t been a problem, and seems to stay localized, and doesn’t spread quickly. So, there may be some resistance. I have other plums planted close by, but it’s the only one that gets any black knot. The other two AU series plums have had no disease issues at all.

I would like AU Cherry and AU Roadside. I would love the AU Ambur but I have fought the battle of BK and don’t want to go there again. I have a bunch of Toka, Spring Satin, Dapple Dandy, Parfume de September plums. Harrow Sweet pear and some apricots if you are interested. Otherwise I’m happy to pay postage.

I’d be happy to send them. Shoot me an IM with your contact info. In addition to the AU series and Spring Satin, I also have Byron Gold if you’re interested.

Hi Rob,

I am interested in your scion.

Thank You
Dano

Still positive opinions on this plum? I received an order from Womack’s nursery with my AU Rubrum substituted for AU cherry and another plum called Ozark Premier. By far one of the worst looking orders I’ve received from any nursery. These trees aren’t much more than twigs.

My AU Cherry grafts grew a few feet in one year. Hopefully your trees will grow just as fast.

1 Like

I have a five year old AU Cherry limb growing in Robusto on a Toole’s Heirloom root that will producing fairly heavily this year. I have a 3 year old tree growing on Mariana that is a bit larger than a Mariana the same age growing next to it. That tells me that may get as big as a mature Mariana. The canopy on my 11 year old Mariana is 30 foot across. I am in the process of trying to air layer two branches to get AU Cherry on its own root. Generally I love the flavor of the fruit. It seems to be cross fertile with Mariana and Delight Cherry Plum. It’s half Chickasaw plum which may explain why one of my super late blooming chickasaw cultivars actually set fruit this year without any wild chickasaw still blooming in the yard.

I got some fruit of the branch in 2021. Last year the fruit all got yacked by a late frost. The branch on Robusto has a moderately heavy crop, and the one on Mariana has only about ten or so plums on it. This was the first year for that tree to bloom. The tree bloomed a good week sooner than the one on Robusto. (I’m becoming convinced that root stock impacts bloom time quite a bit.) To me the fruit was extremely flavorful. I think the plums will sell quite well in a farmers market setting if one can charge enough to make it financially worth while to spend the time picking the little plums.

6 Likes

Here is a photo of my 3 year old Au Cherry growing on Mariana.

8 Likes

I have a new this spring… AU Rosa… which I added a very succesful graft of AU Producer to.

Also a new Shiro plum planted near by.

Next spring… would love to add a few grafts of AU Cherrry and Spring Satin plumcot to those.

We rarely have success with jplums here due to our late frost issues… but you can always hope for the best.

My two new jplums.

Our local walmart gets in cherry plums and plumcots occasionally… and man I :heart: both… and those are store bought junk picked before ripe, shipped, etc… a home grown tree ripened fruit… i need some of those :wink:

2 Likes

TN Hunter,
Consider Black Ice, it’s the only JPlum that escaped this year’s frosts.

1 Like

Did BI bloom later or did they just handle the weather better? Thanks

Does it have any cherry flavor or is just in the name?

Its a American plum crossed with a Japanese x European Cherry-plum. Thus no cherry genetics or flavor.

1 Like

Auburn,
It was the last to blossom. A solid week later than all my other Jplums. Toka was the second to the last with a little bit of overlap.

2 Likes

One week can make a big difference. Thanks