Backyard G.935/G.41 Orchard

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and relatively new to being serious about my fruit trees. This year, after going through several books and lots of other resources, I made the leap and bought some trees from Cummins Nursery. My trees arrived safe and sound!

In total, I have 9 apples, 7 of which are on G.935 and the remaining two are on G.41. I am in Zone 6b in Southern Ohio.

My G.935 varieties are:

• Winecrisp
  • GoldRuch
  • Edelborsdorfer
  • Galarina
  • Kidd’s Orange Red
  • Zestar

Both of my G.41’s are Cox’s Orange Pippin.

Trees are spaced 11’ apart and are staked with bamboo for now (will be using T-posts as they mature). Rows are 12’ apart.

I hope to adapt an organic spray schedule from the Fruit Gardeners Bible.

I would love any advice! Only other apples on the property are 2 Arkansas Black and a Gala.

Thank you all!

4 Likes

I should add, I plan to prune the apples to a central leader. Among any other advice, I would appreciate advice for organic spray schedules! I have read that Cox’s is sensitive to Sulfer which most schedules use.

Welcome! Seems like you made wise choices on Root stock and Apples. I’d just read through topics here. There are many different strategies and methods discussed. And by very well practiced folks.

There are so many people doing so many fruit here. Beware as you might catch other fruit growing bugs here,

2 Likes